The second annual CPD survey by e-publisher Echelon Publishing focused on the current provision of CPD by professional bodies, their future needs, and whether and how they will want to publish, distribute and track CPD in the future.
The survey found that:
• CPD is mandatory for approximately 50% of responding institutions.
• Within the other 50%, there is a trend to make CPD mandatory, with a slight majority of institutions expecting it to become so in the next five years.
• Almost 90% of respondents expected the requirements placed on members to fulfil CPD obligations would grow.
• Compared to 2004’s survey, less emphasis shown on assessment methods that concentrate on the number of hours completed or points acquired, reflecting a shift from measuring inputs towards an emphasis on outcomes.
• Almost 90% of those surveyed offered members a means of recording their CPD activity. However, when asked if this included an on-line system for keeping CPD records this percentage fell to less than one third. This does not show any significant change from the 2004 results.
Commenting on the survey findings, Echelon’s David Hill said, "Comparing year on year results reflects the growing importance attached by professional bodies to maintaining the professional standards of their members.
"It is unlikely to be long before customers demand that professional advice is given only by those who have kept their knowledge and skills up to date."
Echelon manages the development and integration of student and members’ learning on behalf of organisations including the Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development, The Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply, the Institute of Civil Engineers and the Royal Town Planning Institute.
The Echelon CPD Survey is based on a questionnaire emailed to 220 officers of professional bodies during January 2006, as a part of a series of learning surveys conducted by the company.
For copies of the 2006 CPD Survey, email davidhill[.]echelonl.com
Released March 2006 on behalf of Echelon Publishing by BLP&PR
Media contact: Peter Muir Tel + 44 (0)1296 715228
Sales contact: David Hill Tel + 44 (0)20 8568 1500
About Echelon Learning
Echelon Learning is a consultancy-led publishing house that integrates electronically-delivered knowledge and learning into the development of management skills and business performance.
Echelon Consulting spearheads the company’s service with the development of new content in meeting clients’ requirements. This is usually derived from analysing employee knowledge and learning needs captured during client learning programmes.
Where appropriate, Echelon Publishing then offers this new content to a wider audience by publishing the material in generic format. This is made available in the form of easy to use ‘learning nuggets’ and is complimented with business development information licensed exclusively from one of the market’s best-known providers, Bloomsbury.
Echelon e-Learning provides the electronic systems which enable content to be published, distributed and usage tracked, and offers work-based solutions to a global audience. Now Echelon’s blended learning based on a bespoke site populated with material selected to support specific courses, builds knowledge prior to the event and refreshes application when back at the desk.