• Supplying pioneering products for long-term pharma industry trends like mRNA, GLP-1, ready-to-use manufacturing as well as homecare solutions;
• Strategy focusing on high-value solutions is paying off key driver of profitability.
The former pharma division of the SCHOTT Group has continued its profitable growth trajectory by supplying high-value solutions that enable pharma manufacturers to safely store and deliver life-saving drugs. In its first year as a carved-out entity, SCHOTT Pharma has further enhanced its line of products, offering the broadest portfolio in the market and catering to the most important trends in the industry: “From new drug categories that require deep-cold storage and more efficient production set-ups, to a shift from hospital to homecare treatments: Pharma companies around the world continue to trust SCHOTT Pharma to provide the ideal solution,” said Andreas Reisse, CEO of SCHOTT Pharma. On average, more than 25,000 injections per minute are provided to patients worldwide through a SCHOTT Pharma product.
The company builds on a global entrepreneurial success story rooted in innovation and 100-years of manufacturing expertise. With a strong global R&D team and close collaboration with an exclusive network of customers and partners, SCHOTT Pharma is setting new industry standards through innovation. "We continue to stay ahead by following a holistic, systemic approach that is based on science, and puts patients’ needs first," explains Reisse.
This future-oriented mind-set has led to recent developments, including:
• The latest innovation SCHOTT TOPPAC® freeze, which allows pharma companies to market their deep-cold medications directly in prefillable polymer syringes for the first time.
• The development of ready-to-use solutions, where SCHOTT Pharma delivers pre-washed and sterilized products to reduce the supply chain complexities for pharma companies.
• Allowing patients to administer drugs in the comfort of their home by providing fully integrated homecare systems together with device manufacturers, which helps to reduce healthcare costs.
• High-value solutions as a key driver of profitability
As recently reported, the company’s strategy of delivering high-value solutions that cater to long-term trends in the pharma industry continues to be a key driver of profitability: In the first half of the fiscal year 20231, the company generated sales of EUR 449 million, marking a strong 13.2% year-on-year growth. EBITDA increased by 16.6% to EUR 132 million, resulting in an EBITDA margin of 29.4% which was 1 percentage point higher than the same period in 2022. “Our strategy of focusing on high-value solutions is paying off as the share of sales from high-margin, high-value solutions increased significantly to 45%,” commented Dr. Almuth Steinkühler, CFO of SCHOTT Pharma.
As a global market leader with a pure-play focus on injectables, SCHOTT Pharma is represented in all major pharma hubs with 16 state-of-the-art production sites in Europe, North and Latin America, as well as Asia. The company produces around 13 billion prefillable glass and polymer syringes, cartridges, vials and ampoules each year. By supplying over 1,800 customers, SCHOTT Pharma is helping to make breakthrough therapies available to patients around the world.
1. The fiscal year 2023 runs from October 2022 to September 2023. The financial results in this press release are unaudited combined financials.
About SCHOTT Pharma
SCHOTT Pharma (schott.com) designs solutions grounded in science to ensure that medications are safe and easy to use for people around the world because human health matters. The portfolio comprises drug containment and delivery solutions for injectable drugs ranging from prefillable glass and polymer syringes to cartridges, vials, and ampoules. Every day, a team of around 4,700 people from over 65 nations works at SCHOTT Pharma to contribute to global healthcare. The company is represented in all main pharmaceutical hubs with 16 manufacturing sites in Europe, North and South America, and Asia. With over 1,000 patents and technologies developed in-house, a state-of-the-art R&D center in Switzerland, and around 130 employees in R&D, the company is focused on developing innovations for the future. SCHOTT Pharma AG & Co. KGaA, headquartered in Mainz, Germany, is part of SCHOTT AG that is owned by the Carl Zeiss Foundation. In light of this spirit, SCHOTT Pharma is committed to sustainable development for society and the environment and has the strategic goal of becoming climate-neutral by 2030. Currently, SCHOTT Pharma has over 1,800 customers including the top 30 leading pharma manufacturers for injectable drugs and generated sales of EUR 821 million in the fiscal year 2022.