PCL Construction has been selected by AEG (aegworldwide.com) as general contractor for the capital improvements and property-wide upgrades to the iconic Crypto.com Arena and L.A. LIVE’s Xbox Plaza (lalive.com). The renovations will reimagine nearly all aspects of the venue, entry and plaza.
In 1998, PCL constructed the 960,000 square-foot arena, previously known as STAPLES Center, six months ahead of schedule. Now, more than two decades later, AEG will partner with PCL once again to complete extensive renovations to every level of the venue marking a new chapter in the arena’s legendary history.
The Crypto.com Arena and L.A. LIVE’s Xbox Plaza project marks the 19th project PCL has partnered with AEG on to date. Other projects include L.A. LIVE The J.W. Marriott Hotel Conference Center and the Olympic West Parking Structure along with other professional sports facilities in the region such as Dignity Health Sports Park on the campus of Cal State Dominguez Hills, in Carson, CA.
“We look forward to continuing our partnership with AEG to provide a world-class experience for guests of the arena and L.A. LIVE’s Xbox Plaza,” said Michael Headrick, vice president and district manager for PCL Construction’s Los Angeles area. “Over the years, it’s been incredibly rewarding to see how this arena has brought people together to create memorable moments in the sporting and entertainment industry and we are excited to play a part in continuing that legacy.”
While design and construction plans may be different this time around, some of the people involved in the project will remain the same.
Wayne Melnyk, for example, who has been with PCL for 46 years, was the general superintendent on the original STAPLES Center project and is now serving as project director on this renovation.
“During the 18-month construction period and more than 2 million hours invested into the original project, we learned the intricacies behind every square foot of this facility,” said Melnyk. “Myself, along with Rick Garcia who was also involved in the original construction as the structural superintendent, are transferring that institutional knowledge to this renovation project.”
“The wide-ranging renovations to the arena and Xbox Plaza will provide fans with entirely new ways to experience their favorite sports and music events,” said Lee Zeidman, President of Crypto.com Arena, Microsoft Theater and L.A. LIVE. “In addition to creating new and refreshed hospitality options and spaces on multiple levels throughout the arena, nearly all public and backstage areas of Crypto.com Arena will be included in this transformative project. When the wide-ranging renovations are completed, guests, players and fans of the Kings, Lakers and Sparks, and performers coming to Crypto.com Arena and L.A. LIVE will all experience new offerings.”
The extensive renovations to Crypto.com Arena will include:
• A reimagined City View Terrace with flexible indoor-outdoor dining and entertainment experiences where fans can eat, drink and socialize while overlooking the expansive downtown Los Angeles skyline to the north and the arena bowl to the south.
• The development of Crypto.com Arena’s first-ever multi-level Tunnel Club that will feature new hospitality spaces and an exclusive Event Level viewing experience that offers select season ticket members and other VIP guests a personal backstage window to watch players and performers as they enter and exit their locker rooms.
• An expanded and reimagined Chairman’s Club that will offer select season ticket members and VIP guests with new benefits and experiences at Crypto.com Arena’s most private and sought-after location before, during, and after events.
• The creation of the arena’s first-ever Main Concourse suites that will provide guests with premium seating’s closest view of the action on the court, ice or stage.
• The installation of two new LED screens and ribbon boards visible to the upper and lower bowl seating areas.
• A redesigned and upgraded Impact Sports Bar & Grill on the Main Concourse that will include new food and beverage menus.
• Improvements to the Main Concourse marked by an entirely new arrival experience, as well as upgrades to the Upper-Level Concourse including new food offerings, among other fan amenities.
• A redesign of the dining areas in the Yaamava’ and Lexus Clubs, as well as other hospitality spaces.
• A refresh of the arena’s Premium and Suite Level Entrances, Concourses throughout the venue as well as the locker rooms of the Kings, Lakers and Sparks.
In addition to the sweeping renovations at Crypto.com Arena, the project will expand L.A. LIVE’s Xbox Plaza, seamlessly connecting the city’s premier outdoor gathering space with the iconic arena. This expansion will ensure that L.A. LIVE continues to be an unrivaled destination for both local fans and guests from around the world. The renovation will also include two new state-of-the-art electronic outdoor marquees featuring the latest in LED and video technology.
Construction will continue through 2024 but the arena will remain open during all phases of the renovation.
About PCL Construction
PCL (pcl.com) is a group of independent construction companies that carries out work across the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, and in Australia. These diverse operations in the civil infrastructure, heavy industrial, and buildings markets are supported by a strategic presence in more than 30 major centers. Together, these companies have an annual construction volume of more than $6 billion USD, making PCL one of the largest contracting organizations in North America.