SensoLyte® ThT Aß40 and Aß42 Aggregation kits, using the fluorescent dye Thioflavin T (ThT), provide a convenient and standard method to measure Aß40 and Aß42 aggregation, respectively. In each of the kits, Aß40 or Aß42 peptide is pretreated to ensure it is in a monomeric state. Included in the kits is an optimized fibrillation buffer and two known inhibitors as controls. The assay is based on the property of ThT dye in which fluorescence (Ex/Em=440/484 nm) increase is proportional to the amount of dye bound to aggregated Aß peptides.
Alzheimer's disease (AD), the most common cause of dementia, is characterized by the presence of senile plaques and neurofibrillary tangles, surrounded by damaged neurons. Beta-Amyloid (Aß) peptides, Aß40 (1-40) and Aß42 (1-42), were found to be a major component of the above plaques. Many studies suggest that these peptides can form toxic oligomers and fibrils under physiological conditions and rapidly aggregate. Since Aß aggregation is evidently an essential event in the pathogenesis of AD, a reliable assay is important to study Aß fibrillation kinetics and for screening Aß aggregation inhibitors.
1. Hellstrand E., et. al., ACS Chem. Neurosci., (2010) 1: 13-18.
2. Karafin A., et. al., MEDIMOND, (2009) 11-15: 255-259.
3. Hudson S. A., et. al., FEBS J., (2009) 276: 5960-5972.
4. Liu R., et. al., Neurobiol. of Disease, (2005) 20: 74-81.
5. Kudva Y. C., et. al., Biochem. J., (1998) 331: 809-813.