• GE Unveils New Non-Thermal Brine Concentrator;
• GE to Showcase Its Line of Chemicals and Equipment Solutions for the Food and Beverage Industry.
Underscoring its commitment to create advanced technologies for the food and beverage industry, GE also will unveil its new non-thermal brine concentrator (NTBC) that can recover 99 percent + (near zero liquid discharge) of industrial wastewater.
GE serves the unique needs of the food and beverage industry in a variety of ways including through critical production process and wastewater systems, product safety assurance, environmental and regulatory compliance, in-plant utility performance and the ability to produce and treat the necessary quantity and quality of water and wastewater. Some of its specific technologies designed to solve these industry challenges include purifying ingredient water; recovering valuable byproducts such as sugars, proteins and starches; protecting and treating cooling towers and boilers; disinfecting water and process streams; treating process water and wastewater; reusing water; and measuring water quality.
GE’s new NTBC’s 99 percent + recovery rate is compared to the conventional 75-80 percent recovery that is achieved by traditional reverse osmosis (RO). GE’s new technology is based on an environmentally sustainable process that minimizes waste, chemical and energy consumption and achieves an unprecedented total cost of operation for such a high water recovery level.
“Sustainability, water reuse and wastewater issues are critical to the food and beverage industry,” said Andrew Zaske, product line director, systems, water and process technologies for GE Power & Water. “Our goal is to help the industry lower energy consumption and meet regulatory and environmental requirements, all while improving water quality and water conservation.”
Highlights of GE’s water technology portfolio that will be on display at Booth S6842 include GE’s extensive line of chemicals specifically designed for the food and beverage processing:
• TrueSense* advanced cooling solutions integrate three unique functionalities into one platform: direct online monitoring of critical water chemistries, personal instrumentation that dramatically cuts offline testing time and a powerful data analysis and display capability that provides deep insight into system status. TrueSense can help optimize both utility cooling water and process water applications in the food and beverage industry. GE’s total cooling water solution also includes the halogen stable GenGard* series, featuring stress tolerant polymer (STP) and the innovation of direct polymer detection and control without the use of or disadvantages of tracers. GenGard STP is effective in both neutral and alkaline pH scenarios and is a very forgiving chemistry with excellent inhibition and dispersant capabilities.
• Industrial process chemistry products such as FoodPro* and ScalTrol* are tailor-made for the food and beverage industry including the FoodPro FAF series for foam control in food processes; FoodPro SA series separation aid products designed to improve solids recovery and liquid clarity in food and drink separation processes; FoodPro DCF series online deposit control products designed to control organic and/or inorganic deposit formation during food processing; and FoodPro OLC series offline cleaning products.
• Other GE chemical solutions for the food and beverage industry include boiler waterside applications, cooling water applications, influent water applications, wastewater applications, microbiological growth control, protein recovery, sugar juice clarification, foam control, off-stream cleaning and odor control.
During PACK EXPO, GE also will be showcasing its water and process equipment solutions applicable for the food and beverage industry such as:
• High-performance GE filtration technologies that deliver maximum value and serve numerous industrial and process applications, including particulate removal, RO pretreatment and organics and pathogen removal in high-purity water systems. GE filters on display will include Z.Plex*, Hytrex*, Flotrex and Memtrex* filters.
• GE hollow-fiber membrane technologies offer low life-cycle costs for water filtration, wastewater treatment and reuse. GE hollow-fiber systems include ZeeWeed* ultrafiltration systems and membrane bioreactor technology, ideally suited for municipal, industrial reuse applications. Other membranes on display will include pure water membranes, sanitary membranes and industrial process membranes.
• GE has the world’s largest and most capable fleet of mobile water systems, which can help supplement an existing water system, providing high quality water when the water system is in maintenance.
• Other GE water and process equipment solutions for the food and beverage industry include RO, electrodialysis reversal (EDR), electrodeionization (EDI), electrodialysis (ED) and high efficiency reverse osmosis (HERO).
GE (ge.com) is an advanced technology, services and finance company taking on the world’s toughest challenges. Dedicated to innovation in energy, health, transportation and infrastructure, GE operates in more than 100 countries and employs about 300,000 people worldwide.
GE also serves the energy sector by providing technology and service solutions that are based on a commitment to quality and innovation. The company continues to invest in new technology solutions and grow through strategic acquisitions to strengthen its local presence and better serve customers around the world. The businesses that comprise GE Energy—GE Power & Water, GE Energy Management and GE Oil & Gas—work together with more than 90,000 global employees and 2010 revenues of $38 billion, to provide integrated product and service solutions in all areas of the energy industry including coal, oil, natural gas and nuclear energy; renewable resources such as water, wind, solar and biogas; as well as other alternative fuels and new grid modernization technologies to meet 21st century energy needs.
*Trademark of General Electric Company; may be registered in one or more countries.
Beth Coffman, Masto Public Relations
P: +1 518 786 6488 / E: beth.coffman[.]mastopr.com.
Howard Masto, Masto Public Relations
P: +1 518 786 6488 / E: howard.masto[.]ge.com.
GE news, Masto Public Relations / E: information[.]mastopr.com.