PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Kahului, Hawaii, United States, 2011/09/15 - State, community leaders attend blessing, Hawaiian ceremony for 600-kilowatt project - 5ASpace.com.
AAAAA Rent-A-Space, a storage facility and commercial center in Honokowai, held a ceremony today marking the commencement of operations for the largest commercial photovoltaic power generation system in Maui County.
In addition to powering the west Maui storage facility and center, the 600-kilowatt system will contribute to the state’s “feed-in tariff” program, with the capacity to feed 2880 kilowatt-hours into the island’s electrical grid each day, enough clean, renewable energy to power up to 220 Maui homes. The system includes a “Level 2” electric vehicle charging station, slated to be operational before the end of the year.
Senator Rosalyn H. “Roz” Baker was in attendance as community leaders and AAAAA Rent-A-Space founder Jim Knuppe participated in a blessing and traditional untying of Hawaiian maile lei at the entry to the system’s control room.
“Responsible, sustainable stewardship of the land has long been a core value of our islands,” said Knuppe. “Hawaii is precious, its people special. If AAAAA Rent-A-Space is able to walk a path that nurtures our island home, how can we progress otherwise?”
“This solar project provides clean, quantifiable benefits to our center’s merchants, our community, and the entire Aloha State.”
The project, installed by Maui-based Haleakala Solar, supports the Hawaiian Clean Energy Initiative, which aims to have 70 percent of the state’s energy for electricity and ground transportation come from clean energy by 2030.
• The 600-kilowatt system is capable of supplying enough clean, renewable energy to power 220 Maui homes
• System consists of 1938 American-made solar panels
Based on data recently published by the U.S. EPA’s Emissions and Generation Resource Integrated Database (E-GRID);
• Generating an equivalent amount of electric energy from a traditional fossil fuel burning facility would have required more than 1,451 barrels of oil (60,934 gallons) ever year
• System helps avoid the release of more than 1.7 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) into the atmosphere each year
• The amount of CO2 avoided is equivalent of taking 245 passenger vehicles off the road permanently, or the equivalent of planting 29,350 trees
• AAAAA Rent-A-Space utilized Hawaii-based contractors and suppliers throughout development, construction and continuing operations
• Operations of system keep $145,000 in US economy annually which would otherwise go oversees to purchase oil
About AAAAA Rent-A-Space and Retail Center
AAAAA Rent-A-Space and Retail Center in Honokowai is home to the AAAAA Rent-A-Space storage facility, Pizza Hut, Sweet Trade Tattoo, Healing Hands Chiropractic, I Love Maui, Zensations Spa, Maui Beach Properties, All About Fish, Honokowai Okazuya & Deli, and The Fish Market Maui.
AAAAA Rent-A-Space and Retail Center (5ASpace.com) is open daily catering to Maui’s west side and visitors from around the world. For more information call (808) 669-5200, visit the website, follow @5ASpace on Twitter or find them on Facebook.