The IT landscape has changed dramatically. Virtualization has moved from proof of concept to mainstream production and now spans the organization, requiring a complete management solution that ensures application availability, performance, and reliability at high production volumes. Virtualization management in this new landscape is serious business, and IT no longer can depend on disparate point products from multiple niche vendors to successfully implement and manage virtual environments. Quest Software recognizes this need and meets the challenges presented by today’s mature virtual infrastructure head-on, by delivering a complete, end-to-end virtualization management solution set.
· According to a Gartner report dated March 4, 2011*, on an average, large enterprises are nearly 40% virtualized, and by 2016, 80% of workloads running on x86-architecture servers will be running in virtual machines (VMs). Industry analysts say the total amount of data is expected to grow 800 percent in the next five years, and up to 50 percent of data today is considered mission critical. Quest Software is serious about addressing today’s virtualization challenges, delivering a complete solution set providing deep capability across:
• Backup and recovery
• Virtual desktops
• Virtualization monitoring
• Virtualization capacity management
• Application performance monitoring
• Network management
· Several new additions to Quest’s virtualization management portfolio contribute even more value to the complete solution set and the customer’s virtualized environment. Foglight® for Virtual Desktops 5.6 takes powerful, market-leading capability Quest has developed in performance monitoring and turns it to the virtual desktop environment; vFoglight® 6.6 responds to growing market demand for improved capacity management to help optimize infrastructure resources; and enhanced vWorkspace connectors help organizations maintain better control, while enabling the workforce to connect to virtualized environments using the most popular Linux, Android and Mac-based devices.
· Quest’s data protection portfolio has been boosted by the recent release of vRanger® Pro 5.2. This latest addition to the vRanger family of virtual data protection solutions dramatically increases performance with Hot Add capability for backup and replication, introduces ESX and ESXi replication using a virtual appliance architecture for even greater performance, and integrates fully with vSphere 5 for unsurpassed scalability and maximally secure operation and compliance.
· Visit Quest Booth 521 at VMworld 2011 in Las Vegas, and experience demonstrations of Quest’s complete, end-to-end virtualization management solution set available now.
What’s New in Quest’s Complete Virtualization Management Solution Set:
· Foglight for Virtual Desktops 5.6 brings powerful infrastructure monitoring and diagnostics to Quest’s market-leading vWorkspace solution and is now commercially available. It’s a perfect example of the benefits of working with a single source provider for successful implementation of virtualization management that niche vendors can’t deliver. As a single-source vendor of a complete solution set, Quest can tap its capabilities in one area of virtualization management and apply them to fulfill a need in a different environment. Foglight for Virtual Desktops takes Quest’s capabilities in application monitoring (Foglight)and applies them to desktop virtualization (vWorkspace).
• Foglight for Virtual Desktops simplifies virtual desktop management for vWorkspace administrators by providing clarity and visibility into performance and availability issues across the entire virtualization infrastructure, from end point to server.
• Foglight for Virtual Desktops reduces operational costs and mean-time-to-resolution of performance issues, and increases user satisfaction and uptime.
· vFoglight 6.6, a multi-platform Vmware and Hyper –V performance monitoring solution delivers enhanced performance and stability to address the challenges of a growing infrastructure. The simplicity vFoglight offers in managing a complex environment increases productivity, and it leverages virtualization as a catalyst for capacity management.
• vFoglight improves performance and optimization in the customer’s largest, growing, and high volume environments
• vFoglight brings improved navigation reporting and alarm management for increased customer productivity, enhanced storage monitoring and capacity management.
• vFoglight also plans workload movements from physical to virtual infrastructures.
· Newly enhanced vWorkspace connectors help organizations improve user experience by enabling the workforce to use the most popular devices for virtual desktop and application access, so they get their apps and data on any platform, anytime, anywhere.
• vWorkspace connectors enable virtual desktop and application access from Macs, iPads, Netbooks, smart phones, thin clients, repurposed PCs, as well as Linux and Java devices from all major providers.
• vWorkspace connector for Android allows customers to use Web Access in conjunction with the connector; vWorkspace connector for Mac 7.2 gives users flash content on Macs in their virtual desktops; vWorkspace connector for Linux 7.2 allows customers to use their Windows apps seamlessly on a Linux desktop.
· Quest now offers a free download of its new release of Foglight Network Management System to monitor your 100 most important devices. Foglight NMS, part of Quest’s industry-leading APM portfolio, is a scalable, expandable solution that enables users to increase network performance and availability while improving IT efficiency.
• Foglight NMS monitors and reports such key statistics as status, CPU, memory, disk usage, and network traffic on virtual and physical devices. Recent enhancements include monitoring support that simplifies root-cause analysis and resolution of the most complex network challenges, giving VM administrators new views and control of their networks.
• Download Foglight Network Management System at quest.com/freenms.
Carl Eberling, vice president and general manager, Virtualization & Monitoring, Quest Software
“We’ve been helping customers manage their virtual environments for years, and now, as virtualization continues to move into the mainstream, customers increasingly require a comprehensive, overarching solution to manage their complex infrastructures and keep critical applications running, simply and efficiently. As opposed to other vendors in the space who offer only point products and sell more on roadmaps than on proven market-leading solutions, Quest delivers now on what our customers need today, and we remain committed to enhancing our complete virtualization management tool set as future needs evolve.”
Navin Singh, technology specialist, California Healthcare Foundation
“Managing our virtualized environment requires solutions that deliver value quickly. With vRanger and vFoglight in place, that’s what we have. We like the one-stop shopping that Quest provides and we are happy with the quality of the products and the service that Quest provides across many different types of tools.”
Dan Bolton, technical analyst, Kingston University
“Foglight for Virtual Desktops provides deep infrastructure visibility through detailed architectural representations and out-of-the-box alerts. The in-depth monitoring and diagnostic capabilities have helped me reduce my mean-time-to-resolution (MTTR) by at least 75 percent, and, more importantly, ensure more than 99 percent uptime for my virtual desktops.”
Source: Gartner,“Virtual Machines Will Slow in the Enterprise, Grow in the Cloud,” Thomas Bittman and Lydia Leong, March 4, 2011
Quest Software (Nasdaq: QSFT) administration and automation, data protection, development and optimization, identity and access management, migration and consolidation, and performance monitoring, go to quest.com. simplifies and reduces the cost of managing IT for more than 100,000 customers worldwide. Our innovative solutions make solving the toughest IT management problems easier, enabling customers to save time and money across physical, virtual and cloud environments.
Quest, Quest Software, Foglight, vFoglight, and the Quest logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Quest Software in the United States and certain other countries. vRanger is a trademark or registered trademark of Vizioncore Inc. in the United States and certain other countries. All other names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.