The shift from physical to virtual data centers continues as more customers leverage virtualization as the preferred environment for their most strategic applications. For many organizations, rapid data growth, expanding virtual server deployments and increasing data center consolidations are pushing legacy backup and recovery solutions to the breaking point.
With the release of VMware vSphere® 5 and the VMware cloud infrastructure suite VMware continues to push the limits of performance and scale with support for virtual machines (VMs) that are up to four times more powerful than previous versions. This dramatic increase in compute, memory, networking and storage support means IT can confidently deploy more VMs, larger VMs and run more performance intensive and more business critical applications inside VMs. The need for a modern data management solution that can maintain this pace is even more pressing than before.
CommVault® Simpana® 9 software stands ready for this massive increase in VM capabilities with a modern approach to virtual infrastructure data protection. Keeping in lockstep with VMware technology rollouts, Simpana software will deliver the ability to protect hundreds of VMs in minutes, scale to protect thousands of VMs and provides an off-host backup approach that ensures even the most performance intensive “Monster VM” can be easily backed-up. With the release of CommVault Simpana 9 Service Pack 3, customers can gain more flexibility and control over virtual environments with newly added VM lifecycle management and provisioning capabilities.
• CommVault (commvault.com) recently announced availability of Simpana 9 Service Pack 3, which will include full support for VMware vSphere 5. CommVault Simpana 9 SP3 software will deliver key capabilities required for successful backup, recovery and data management operations in VMware vSphere 5 environments, including:
oThe ability to protect hundreds of virtual machines in minutes.
oScalability to protect thousands of virtual machines.
oProtection for the most performance intensive applications with minimal impact to operations.
oFile-level browsing for faster, simpler, granular file restores.
• With VMware vSphere 5 protected by Simpana software, customers can be confident that their most critical application data will be managed and protected seamlessly and easily as they look to rapidly transition to scalable private, public and hybrid cloud environments.
• The new VMware VM lifecycle management capabilities in SP3 govern the creation and expiration of virtual machines based on user-driven policies. Using a Web console, administrators can create and manage collections of VMs provisioned from authorized VMware vCenter™ Server templates. Users can define expiration rules to allow VMs to be removed from the system, thereby freeing up critical production resources for new use.
• In addition, a new feature called VM Live Browse allows users to browse Windows-based VM backup images retained in a SnapProtect SnapCopy on a granular, file-level basis without requiring metadata collection on the backup job. This new file-level browse option automatically mounts a VM image to present file-level details in a browser and affords users all CommVault Virtual Server Agent (VSA) file-level restore options. Users can direct Live Browse to any VSA/SnapCopy in the storage policy hierarchy.
Tweet This: @CommVault offers full support for #VMware #vSphere 5 with #Simpana SP3
Simpana 9 SP3 Extends Modern Data Protection from Physical to Virtual to the Cloud
• Simpana software’s unique ability to unify backup, recovery, archive, replication, management and search capabilities under a common code base helps customers scale out their storage environments and address legacy physical and virtualized server and cloud-storage environments and the data protection and information management challenges they encounter.
• According to IDC’s June 2011 Storage Software Insight, as organizations rethink their backup strategies, new “modernized data protection” practices that tightly integrate snapshot, replication and persistent copies—from physical or virtual servers—that are also secure, deduplicated and accessible through a single point of entry, become critical. With Simpana 9, according to the IDC Insight report,“CommVault has set the foundation for its customers to protect their data from core to cloud.”
• David West, senior vice president of marketing and business development for CommVault:
“For years, we’ve been focused on solving our customers’ data protection challenges for virtual server infrastructures with new features that anticipate their needs as they bridge their physical and virtual IT environments. With upcoming VMware vSphere 5® support in Simpana 9, and its compelling protection capabilities like SnapProtect, CommVault is taking a leadership position in the virtual server data protection space.”
• Parag Patel, vice president, Global Strategic Alliances, VMware:
“With VMware vSphere® 5 and our cloud infrastructure suite, VMware is amplifying the value customers can realize from virtualized resources by enabling cloud-scale operations. The virtual server backups, data protection and management capabilities offered by Simpana 9 are important components of this overall solution.”