• Polk, the premier provider of automotive marketing information and marketing solutions, has significantly improved its vehicle and customer data reporting and analysis solutions delivered as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) with Oracle® Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation.
•By moving its enterprise data warehouse onto a half-rack Oracle Exadata Database Machine X2-2 system, Polk achieved query and reporting performance increases an average of 10x out-of-the-box.
•The implementation of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition helped Polk to enhance usability of its customer facing analysis and reporting solutions as well as their scalability and performance.
Polk Enhances SaaS Reporting Solutions with Oracle Exadata and Oracle BI
• Southfield, Mich.-based Polk manages a growing and complex set of vehicle data online to support the automotive industry. Customers span global automotive OEMs, dealers and dealer groups, aftermarket companies, financial services and insurance firms, advertising agencies, media companies, and many others.
Polk offers customers automotive intelligence solutions for:
- Analyzing and forecasting market potential, improving owner loyalty, managing after sales and aftermarket operations and helping dealerships optimize their presence and location planning;
- Multichannel Marketing – To plan and manage multichannel target marketing as well as operate consumer databases; and,
- VIN-Intelligence – To interpret and apply VIN information and verify current vehicle owners.
• A key driver for implementing Oracle Exadata was to deliver higher quality of service for its customers even during “rush hours” each month when many more complex queries execute.
• With Oracle Exadata, Polk realized a tenfold improvement in query execution speed and can now support a much higher level of complex concurrent analyses.
• Polk reduced storage costs by using Oracle Exadata’s Hybrid Columnar Compression to compress data 10x to 15x.
• The move to Oracle Exadata has enabled Polk to consolidate several standalone databases and decommission existing hardware. In addition, the integrated nature of Oracle Exadata has also helped Polk to drastically reduce time spent on performance tuning while bringing new warehouse-based services to market faster.
Following a broad evaluation of BI vendors in a proof of concept, Polk selected Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition based on:
- Rich product features and functionality including proactive alerting and scheduling, Microsoft Office integration, spatial integration and mapping, amongst others;
- The ability to support the data size and complexity of Polk’s data structures; and,
- An architecture to support Polk’s availability and scalability requirements.
• The combination of Oracle Exadata and Oracle BI enables Polk’s customers to improve decision making through enhanced system performance as well as via new BI exception-based management capabilities to focus on the most critical information.
• Polk went into production with Oracle Exadata in October 2010. With the help of BI Consulting Group, an Oracle PartnerNetwork Gold level member, Polk deployed Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition in April 1st, 2011.
“Polk is committed to being the premier provider of automotive intelligence and marketing solutions,” said Kelly Garcia, VP Application Development and Support, Polk. “The implementation of Oracle Exadata and Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation enables us to deliver enhanced customer service while enabling our customer to take advantage of the new capabilities and enhanced performance to improve decision making and business performance.”
Connect with Oracle Database via Blog, Facebook and Twitter
Connect with Oracle Business Intelligence via Blog, Facebook and Twitter
About Oracle Exadata
The Oracle Exadata Database Machine is the only database machine that provides extreme performance for both data warehousing and online transaction processing (OLTP) applications, making it the ideal platform for consolidating onto grids or private clouds. It is a complete package of servers, storage, networking, and software that is massively scalable, secure, and redundant. With Oracle Exadata Database Machine, customers can reduce IT costs through consolidation, manage more data on multiple compression tiers, improve performance of all applications, and make better business decisions in real time.
Polk is the premier provider of automotive information and marketing solutions. The organization collects and interprets global data, and provides extensive automotive business expertise to help customers understand their market position, identify trends, build brand loyalty, conquest new business and gain a competitive advantage. Polk helps automotive manufacturers and dealers, automotive aftermarket companies, finance and insurance companies, advertising agencies, media companies, consulting organizations, government agencies and market research firms make good business decisions. A privately held global firm, Polk is based in Southfield, Michigan with operations in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, please visit our Website at oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Joan Levy, Blanc & Otus for Oracle
P: +1.415.856.5110 / E: jlevy[.]bando.com