The successful finalists have been chosen from many applicants to take part in the second of four heats for The Pitch 2011, organised in association with marketing solutions business Yell. The overall winner will receive £50,000 worth of business support.
The five finalists are:
• Marcus Hacker, owner of Kitchen Pro, a company which manufactures design lead kitchenware that aims to create a harmonious and innovative range of kitchen utensils for home cooks and foodies.
• David Millership, co-director of multilog ltd, producers of a personal integrated fall prevention, work restraint, and fall arrest device for the height safety industry.
• Helen McAvoy, inventor of Rocktails, a premium, ready to drink frozen cocktail, enabling people to enjoy bar quality cocktails at home.
• Jarrad Morris, owner of Uni’d Clothing, a one stop shop for University branded and student clothing. Uni'd Clothing provides a core range of five products to students in 130 Universities in the UK.
• Gill Ellis and Nicola Morgan, co-founders of Behaviour Stop Ltd, which produces Good Choice Teddy, an educational resource suitable for parents and teachers to reinforce positive behaviour in children.
The entrepreneurs will pitch their businesses to a panel of judges on Tuesday 12 July. The pitches will be streamed live on
Judging the contestants will be serial social entrepreneur Karen Darby, marketing expert and star of Channel 4’s The Secret Millionaire Carl Hopkins, and Adam Price, an award-winning entrepreneur and managing director
On his role as a heat judge Price says: “I am delighted to be the Welsh judge for The Pitch 2011. Seeing new talent emerging from Wales is exciting and something I am eager to be a part of.
“I know first-hand what it takes to build a business from scratch and will be looking for somebody with the imagination, energy and perseverance it takes to turn a great idea into a prosperous reality.”
As part of the event, the audience and pitchers will receive valuable business advice from an impressive line-up of speakers. A number of successful Welsh entrepreneurs will share their tips for success.
They include Stuart Jolley, creator of Wingman and star of BBC2’s Britain’s Next Big Thing, Alex Gazzard, managing director of Cardiff-based serviced apartment company Acityabode, Lucy Cohen, co-founder of accountancy firm Mazuma and Sue Acton, founder of Bubble & Balm.
Anyone wishing to watch the event can register for the live stream at
The Welsh heat is the second step of The Pitch’s UK wide search to find and support young small businesses.
The English heat took place on 9 June. Scottish and Northern Irish heats will take place in Edinburgh and Belfast before a grand final in London in November. The champion will walk away with the top prize which includes 12 months free mentoring from competition judge Karen Darby, £6,000 of advertising solutions from Yell and membership of employers’ organisation the Forum of Private Business.
Full details about The Pitch 2011 are at The Pitch 2011.
The Pitch 2011 is an initiative by Sift Media, in association with Yell.
About Sift Media
Sift Media is a leading business-to-business publisher specialising in online professional communities and face-to-face business events.
With a range of services including websites, E: publications, industry awards and exhibitions, Sift Media delivers original, branded content to over half a million professionals every month, across small business, finance, accounting, HR and training, IT, marketing, customer management and knowledge management.
BusinessZone.co.uk is Sift Media’s online publication for entrepreneurs providing free, practical and no-nonsense advice on how to start and grow a successful business.
Yell (yell.com) offers quality business leads and marketing solutions to small and medium sized enterprises in the UK, US, Spain and some countries in Latin America through an integrated portfolio of simple-to-use, cost effective advertising. Our products are available through printed, online, telephone and mobile based media. Yell’s principal brands include: in the United Kingdom - Yellow Pages, Yell.com and 118 24 7; in the United States - Yellowbook and Yellowbook.com; and in Spain - Paginas Amarillas and PaginasAmarillas.es.
Twitter: @The_Pitch / @BusinessZone / @Yellpressoffice / @YellBusiness
For more information contact Becky Spurr on or 0117 915 9615
Distributed on behalf of Yell by NeonDrum news distribution service