The director of the annual Smart Metering UK & Ireland conference, Anthony Pohl, says the meeting between the utilities and government is crucial for the successful deployment of 53 million smart meters in 30 million homes and businesses across the country. Smarter meters in the home will enable energy users and suppliers to have more control and cut out waste.
Big benefits if done right
Earlier, the energy expert for Consumer Focus, Zoe McCleod said smart meters could bring big benefits for customers if done right, but pose big risks if done wrong. She said the challenge was for industry to work with government and consumer groups to put the right protections in place and ensure that smart meters deliver for consumers.
Privacy issue crucial
The privacy question has to be answered to make smart metering a success and the acceptance of consumers is a main driver, according to Richard St Clair, MD of Elster Metering Systems UK. He adds that consumers need to be able to trust the authorised users of their data so new services and solutions that genuinely help people can be developed and delivered on a needs basis.
More experts who will be at Smart Metering UK & Ireland include:
• Teresa Camey, Head of Policy, Smart Meter Programme Team, Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC), UK
• Ashley Pocock, FIET, Head of Industry Change, Regulation and External Affairs, Smart Metering Project Transformation, EDF Energy, UK
• Karl Popham, CIO, Austin Energy, USA
• Susan Furnell, Head of Smart Strategy, RWE Npower, UK
• Neil McGuiness, Manager, Smart Metering Project, ESB, Ireland
• Jacqueline Epifanie, Head of Marketing- Smart Homes, British Gas, UK
• Jason Brogden, Smart Metering Programme Manager, Energy Retail Association, UK
• Howard Porter, Chief Executive Officer, BEAMA, UK
• Cathy Mannion, Director, Electricity Networks and Retail, Commission for Energy Regulation, UK
• Gill Owen, Director, Sustainability First, UK
• Aidan O'Neill, Chief Executive, PrePayPower, Ireland
• James Pace, Senior Director of Business Development, Silver Spring Networks, UK
Event dates and location: 2-3 June 2011, Millennium Gloucester Hotel, Kensington, London
Onsite contact: Anthony Pohl - T+31 6555 29738