PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Jerusalem, Israel, 2011/03/25 - Taking the lead in the broadband race was DSL, which accounted for 2.9 million, or 56 percent, of total broadband connections - RitterGroup.com.
Argentine residents continue to tune into broadband services. As of the end of 2010, Argentina's reported that broadband connections rose to 5.22 million subscribers, up from 4.26 million in 2009.
Taking the lead in the broadband race was DSL, which accounted for 2.9 million, or 56 percent, of total broadband connections. Meanwhile wireless, satellite and other connections accounted for 1.35 million subscribers, or 26 percent, and cable made up 962,354, or 18 percent.
Total residential broadband connections totaled 4.51 million as of the end of December, up from 3.65 million in 2009, while business broadband connections rose to 715,955, up from 607,523 in 2009.
While only a small portion of Argentina's Internet connections, the report added that there were still 132,965 dial-up connections. The residential market made up the majority of Argentina's dial up market with 115,740 subscribers.
This increase can be attributed to the government backed ‘Argentina Conectada’ $2 billion plan to expand broadband and digital TV coverage.
Aimed at extending network facilities into rural and unprofitable areas, state-run satellite company will deploy a 26,000 km network backbone that it says will complement the country's traditional service provider's networks. Julio de Vido, Argentina's planning minister said the initial 10,000 km will be laid out in rural areas of Argentina.
In addition to building out a new network backbone to expand broadband, the first five of 47 digital TV antennas have been put up in Buenos Aires and Resistencia in the province of Chaco. The remaining 42 antennas will be installed by the middle of next year to bring digital TV coverage to about 75 percent of the country, while the remaining 25 percent will be served by satellite.
Ritter Group has tapped into its market professionals in South America to check the viability of Argentine-based broadband investments. With such an under-served market share and government support for the initiative, the possible benefits of venture capital investment are still to be understood.
About Ritter Group
Ritter Group (rittergroup.com) is a premier provider of seed and early stage venture capital for innovative companies. Ritter Group works tirelessly to be the best across a global market and global technology areas including Biotechnology, Clean-tech, Information technology, Telecommunications, Diagnostic technology and Medical technology. Ritter Group provides unparalleled help and trusted advice across key aspects of company building including strategy, recruiting and business development.