Both α-synuclein and β-synuclein are expressed and purified from E. coli. α-Synuclein is a 140-amino acid long recombinant protein (GenBank Accession # NP_000336) and β-synuclein is 134-amino acid long (GenBank Accession # NP_003076).
α-Synuclein (SNCA) and β-synuclein, along with γ-synuclein (SNCG), are members of the synuclein family of small proteins expressed primarily in neural tissue and in some tumors.1 Synuclein proteins, found only in vertebrates, possess a highly conserved N-terminal domain, with a variable number of 11-residue repeats and a less conserved C-terminal, with a preponderance of acidic residues.1 α-Synuclein is used in Parkinson’s disease (PD) research, 2 and β-synuclein has been shown to induce mild experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) in Lewis rats.3 These proteins can be used in applications such as ELISA, western blots and microscopy imaging.
1. George, JM. Genome Biol. 3, reviews 3002.1 (2002).
2. Spillantini, MG. et al. Nature 388, 839 (1997).
3. Sung, Y-H. et al. Protein Sci 15, 1162 (2006).
4. Trojanowski, JQ. & VM. Lee, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 991, 107 (2003).
5. Masliah, E., et al. Science 287, 1265 (2000).
6. Van Der, PH, et al. J. Neurosci. 20, 6021 (2000).
7. Feany, MB. & WW. Bender, Nature 404, 394(2000).
8. Weinreb, PH., et al. Biochemistry 35, 13709 (1996).
9. Rivers, RC. et al. Protein Sci 17, 887 (2008).
10. George, JM. Genome Biol 3, 3002.1 (2001).
11. Bruening, W. et al. Am Cancer Soc 88, 2154 (2000).
About AnaSpec, Eurogentec Group
AnaSpec, Eurogentec Group (anaspec.com) is a leading provider of integrated proteomics and genomics solutionsTM for worldwide life science research. AnaSpec offers expertise in peptides, detection reagents, antibodies, assay kits, oligonucleotides, and qPCRs. AnaSpec carries a broad product line of biochemicals and reagents for basic research, high-throughput screening and drug discovery. AnaSpec also provides premier custom services including peptide synthesis, antibody production, assay development and oligonucleotide synthesis. AnaSpec is certified to ISO 9001:2008.