Mformation® Technologies Inc., the leading provider of advanced mobile device management (MDM) solutions, today announced its new solution for mobile broadband devices. Mformation’s mobile broadband solution will bring manageability and control to a wide range of computing devices that connect over mobile operator networks in addition to traditional networks.
Adam Leach, Principal Analyst, Ovum, commented: “Service providers and enterprises are having to embrace a multitude of new connected devices. Service providers are expanding their device portfolios to reach an increasing number of consumers and enterprises are having to cope with employees bringing these devices on the corporate network. The ongoing management and security of these devices is a critical requirement for enterprises and service providers alike. Traditional management systems for these devices operate through the local area network; adding remote management over wireless is an essential move to improve efficiency.”
The Mformation solution works for all kinds of computing devices—from tablets running iOS4, Android and Windows 7, to high-powered notebooks, through the simpler USB and connect cards. These devices now make up a very significant and growing proportion of the devices connecting over mobile networks. Enterprises and service providers alike require a management solution that enables them to:
• Secure the devices and the data on them—a critical capability, especially for enterprises. Regulatory requirements for computing devices are creating ever-higher security hurdles.
• Disable access to the devices remotely. The platform offers enhanced security by full platform disablement, which also reduces any incentive to default on subscriptions or contracts.
• Manage and enforce policies on the devices, including offloading data traffic onto Wi-Fi.
• Inventory the devices, including device capabilities, modem, OS, registry and application information.
• Ensure that IT Help Desk and customer care staff can diagnose problems easily and resolve support calls quickly.
• Provide service assurance for both enterprises and consumers through platform disablement functions.
• Manage “vanilla” mobile broadband devices from open market or other retail outlets.
• Configure and reconfigure network parameters.
• Monitor the performance and availability of services.
• Update firmware and software on the devices.
Mformation is using a range of client technologies on the devices to create this solution, including its own standards-based OpenDM™ client, which will ship preloaded on a wide range of computing devices. Mformation’s mobile broadband solution will also work with a range of other client technologies, including all standardized clients (e.g., OMA DM clients) and other native solutions such as the Apple native client for iOS4 on the iPad.
Mformation’s device management platform supports nearly 5,000 different mobile device models, with support for computing devices being added now. Mformation’s MDM platform is continually evolving to support new next-generation networks such as LTE, devices and value-added services. Computing devices are an important new category of supported devices. Mformation’s extensive experience with OMA DM and other standards, and demonstrated leadership in managing standards-compliant mobile devices, are critical to the seamless management of computing devices.
Rowan Scranage, SVP Global Business Development and Corporate Strategy at Mformation commented: “We see the connected computing segment exploding, highlighted by devices like the iPad and Android tablets. This is key area for mobile device and security management, and we are bringing a similar level of manageability to computing devices as we already bring to mobile devices. Another Mformation selling point will be delivering a one-stop shop for connectivity management for computing devices and mobile phones. This will be compelling combination for both enterprises and mobile operators.”
Mformation Technologies, Inc. (mformation.com) is the pioneer and leading global provider of mobile device management (MDM) technology, used by 70% of the largest tier-one mobile operators worldwide. Mformation offers a complete lifecycle management solution that enables operators to rapidly accelerate their data revenues and reduce support costs and enterprises to effectively secure data and devices accessing corporate networks. Mformation's award-winning MFORMATION SERVICE MANAGER™ suite provides solutions for OMA DM-based provisioning and configuration, firmware upgrades, smartphone application management, diagnostics, security management, lock and wipe, and customer experience management for both operators and enterprises.