This year, the IT Jam Meet & Mix, held on the 11th of September, took place in Radmir ExpoHall in Kharkiv, versus previous two being held in Kyiv. The event gathered around 1200+ people, which is record breaking – twice the size of the last year’s turnout. The visitors included not only people from Ukraine, but also from Russia, Belarus, USA, and Australia.
For the first time in IT Jam’s history Ciklum’s idea was supported by other companies. Namely, GlobalLogic, Zoral Labs, ZFort Group, Intetics, and Samsung, all on their own initiative approached Ciklum to cosponsor the event. Further, 30 other organizations across the IT and media industries came forward as info partners.
IT Jam’s general format is education through presentations and active interaction of the mini bar camp style plus a social after party. By tradition the event was dynamic and live, set in an informal atmosphere, and offering something for every taste. Though this year this all happened on a much larger scale. People had plenty of opportunities to learn, network, meet new people, exchange ideas or simply enjoy some good times playing video games and checking out latest tech gadgets.
IT Jam 2010 included:
• One main presentation by a key note speaker Mikhail Zavileysky, General Manager of DataArt Company.
• Six presentations from the acclaimed gurus on the subjects in various IT areas.
• 28 knowledge-sharing presentations performed in a so called Open Space format that enables a close interactive environment, split into four areas: .Net, Mobile + Web, PHP + QA, Database Management.
• IT Jam Music Session - a free after party in an adjacent nightclub where IT guys showed their other talent – coding cool tunes on the musical instruments.
Each year the organizers keep surprising attendees with new creative additions to the IT Jam. This year those included:
• Gadgets lounge. Open space area where people were given a chance to learn and play with iBooks presented by Azbuka and not yet released Galaxy Tab provided by Samsung.
• Games area. Those wanting to take a break and game were offered to play video games.
• Agile Business Value Game. Led by a very famous SCRUM practitioner in Ukraine, Timofey Yevgrashyn, IT Jam gave a chance to more than 70 Agile admirers and those interested in it to learn on practice “How to release the right products with the right features at the right time or how a team can deliver ‘Business Value’ to the customer.”
• Fundraising. Ciklum being a socially responsible company was inviting attendees to take part in a pan Ukrainian charity project “Breath of life” (breath-of-life.org.ua/), raising money for a pulmoflator for a children’s hospital ‘Ohmadit’ in Kiev city. All together Ciklum has raised 5,000 UAH.
“I am happy to see that this is a pleasant event not only for IT guys. We are pleased to see support from other companies, indicating that the market is uniting and is willing to invest into the development of the Ukrainian future. From the feedback that we have received during and after the event it seems like everyone was impressed with the organizational level and of the idea itself. People liked the fact that IT Jam was Free and very much informal.
It has proven us very much worth wile that this year’s IT Jam took place in Kharkiv. We have not decided as to the next year but we are considering other IT Ukrainian hubs such as Lviv and Ddipropetrovsk. We are going to continue with our one day knowledge sharing, interaction and fun format, but for sure we will again surprise our attendees with something new. Just like we do it every year,” says Marina Vyshegorodskikh, Ciklum’s HR Director.
Ciklum (ciklum.net) is a Danish IT outsourcing company specializing in nearshore software development by establishing and servicing clients’ own development teams in Ukraine. The environment of services and knowledge sharing within the company helps clients to market quickly and with less risk and minimal investment. Established in 2002, Ciklum employs more than 800 specialists with more than 100 global client teams. Ciklum has four development offices in Ukraine, one in Belarus, and two in Pakistan, as well as representative offices in Denmark, Sweden, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Germany and the Netherlands. Ciklum is a winner of Red Herring 100 Europe 2009, recognized as CeBIT 2010 Top 20 innovative company delivering services/products for small and medium sized companies, and named the 2010 Global Services 100 provider.
About IT Jam Meet & Mix
Launched in 2008, IT Jam Meet & Mix (it-jam.ciklum.net) is an annual non-commercial educational, networking and social Ukrainian IT community event, designed by Ciklum to unite, educate and promote Ukrainian IT industry and to demonstrate benefits of being part of the united IT community.