This is the first time this kind of mobile technology has been used in France.
Once the smartphone’s application is downloaded, the visitor will be redirected via the QR Code to a mobile version of SIAL’s website. From their phone, visitors will then be able to register for the badges online, see the list of exhibitors, read the show’s news and find out about this year’s highlights.
The QR code, was developed in collaboration with the Tokyo based creative agency SET and is visible on SIAL’s press releases and promotional materials.
With innovation an integral part of the exhibition’s DNA, SIAL 2010 aims to develop more and more cutting edge services, such as this QR code. From 17 to 21 October, SIAL (sial.fr) will welcome over 5,500 exhibitors and over 148,000 visitors from across the world to the Parc des Expositions – Porte de Villepinte, Paris.
QR Code definition by Wikipédia
A QR Code is a matrix barcode (or two-dimensional code), readable by QR scanners, mobile phones with a camera, and smartphones. The code consists of black modules arranged in a square pattern on a white background. The information encoded can be text, a URL or other data.
SIAL in figures
From Sunday 17 October to Thursday 21 October 2010 - Parc des Expositions de Paris Nord Villepinte – France
• 5,500 exhibitors, of whom 78% are from non-French countries;
• 19 product sectors and food channels;
• 101 countries and 22 regions of France;
• Strong response from government institutions: 114 official visits;
• 148,000 visitors expected from 185 countries, of which 58% come from non-French countries (Retail/Trade, Food industries, Foodservice, Services);
• 20,700 visitors are from commercial and institutional catering: buyers, wholesalers, distributors, and chefs;
• 66,500 visitors are from retail: central purchasing groups, hard discount, medium-sized to large-scale stores, retailing, wholesale, trade, import-export;
• 100% international retail brands are present;
•12 highlights and special events: a big-picture view of the global food industry covering issues such as innovation, food and health, sustainable development, wine, gourmet products, ingredients, retail, foodservice, etc;
• A programme of some 150 conferences, meetings and workshops;
• Trends & Innovations: 350 innovations selected including 15 Trends & Innovations Awards and 2 Disney-SIAL awards;
• IN-FOOD (exhibition for semi-processed food products, ingredients, additives and outsourcing solutions) and IPA (the world food process exhibition) are held in conjunction with SIAL.
SIAL S.A. General Manager: Valérie Lobry
SIAL Group Manager: Adeline Vancauwelaert