PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Los Angeles, CA, United States, 2010/03/26 - "This is all about how technology can transform the way utilities can deliver power to customers," said President & CEO Sarav Periasamy, PERI Software Software Solutions Inc. - PeriSoftware.com.
“Utilities have discovered that smart grid will change every aspect of their business – from customer care to service delivery and infrastructure management,” said PERI Software president & CEO Sarav Periasamy is attending DistribuTECH Conference and Exhibition (March 23-25, 2010) in Tampa Convention Center, Tampa Fl.
The conference focuses on giving executives the knowledge for creating a sustainable energy future. “But more importantly we need to educate and engage consumers in the transformation. By doing so customers worry less about rate hikes and feel more comfortable in saving energy and the environment.”
PERI Software, a business solutions company based in Newark, NJ offers a solution that consists of smart electric meters that are capable of collecting fine grained household electrical usage data and transmitting the data securely over mobile phones using general packet radio service (GPRS) or WIFI Mesh. GPRS concentrators are used to avoid the repetitive and cost intensive maintenance for each meter.
“The data collected is integrated into a smart grid enterprise information system,” explained Periasamy. “The application supports data collection, analytics, system planning, engineering, operations, energy management, asset management, and value-added customer services. Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Smart Meter and Demand Response form the core enabling technologies for the smart grid. Beyond automated meter reads for billing purposes, smart meters serve as information gateways to customers. They also offer improved revenue management and proactive customer communications about energy efficiency.”
In a case study for a utility company, PERI provided solutions for using outdoor wireless mesh and GPRS solutions for implementing smart grid solutions. PERI had to overcome the challenges of deploying wide-area wireless broadband IP networks on a large scale, making wide-area broadband coverage possible. PERI provided a solution that is scalable, reliable, performance bound and secured that the customer needed. The backend application is an enterprise-wide geographic information system (GIS) supported by a business intelligence application.
Additionally, PERI helped the utility company with the follow smart grid business solutions:
• Pilot implementation with sample automatic meter reading (AMR);
• Setting up AMR processes to collect, process and record power consumption data at preset intervals;
• Building MIS/GIS solutions to understand electrical load in real time;
• Provisioned to download collected data into handheld device for instant billing at consumer site;
• Integrated Billing and Analysis modules;
• Management of the collected data on Smart Grid asset, system and device;
• Operation and maintenance of the Smart Grid systems including hardware,firmware, and software;
• Management and use of data collected to improve the utility business, including operation efficiency, planning and utilization, energy efficiency and customer service;
• Scope, evaluate and deployment of Smart Grid systems and devices including smart meters;
• Security and Information protection policies, guidelines and processes;
• GIS based energy management system, distribution and outage management systems.