PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
St Albans, Herts, United Kingdom, 2010/01/25 - Waste King, the specialist collections, clearance and recycling company, has highlighted the importance – and value – of having a Site Waste Management Plan (SWMP).
In its latest news information for customers, Waste King explains that SWMPs are a legal requirement in England for all construction projects begun after 6th April 2008 which are worth over £300,000. However, says Waste King, whatever the size of your project, it is worth having an SWMP.
An SWMP sets out how resources will be managed and waste controlled at all stages during a construction project. It covers:
• Who will be responsible for resource management.
• What types of waste will be generated.
• How the waste will be managed – will it be reduced, reused or recycled?
• Which contractors will be used to ensure the waste is correctly recycled or disposed of responsibly and legally.
• How the quantity of waste generated by the project will be measured.
Waste King’s Andy Cattigan commented: “The benefits for organisations of using an SWMP are that it:
• Saves time – You can answer queries about your waste from your environmental regulator or local council quickly and easily.
• Helps you avoid prosecution – You can ensure all your waste is disposed of legally.
• Wins new business – You can prove your environmental performance, which can give you an advantage in the tendering process.
• Helps you understand and reduce waste disposal costs – You understand how your waste is managed so you can identify where to save money and reduce costs.
• Enhances your reputation – Your customers can see where you are helping the environment and making cost savings.
• Helps the environment – You will manage materials and waste on-site more responsibly so they are less of a risk to the local environment.
• Improves future projects – When your SWMP is complete you will have useful information for future projects about how you used resources and managed your waste.”
As part of Waste King’s commitment to keep its customers up-to-date on the latest developments in environmentally friendly waste management, including recycling, it is providing regular information updates - via email, to keep its carbon footprint as small as possible.
Any non-customers of Waste King who would like to receive these regular, free updates should email enquiries[.]wasteking.co.uk or complete the form on Waste King's website.
About Waste King Ltd
A specialist collections, clearance and recycling company, Waste King (wasteking.co.uk) serves the domestic and commercial markets. It focuses not only on providing a friendly, efficient, cost-effective service but also one which is environmentally friendly. In particular, Waste King’s uniformed, Environment Agency-licensed staff take time to ensure that the maximum amount of waste can be recycled and that all the waste it collects is disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
Waste King was formed, in 2007, by Glenn Currie and Andy Cattigan, who had experience in sales and IT respectively and were keen to ‘do something to help the environment’.