PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Ely, Cambs, United Kingdom, 2009/11/09 - SQLMetaTool is a new multi-function SQL Server utility for DBAs and Developers that extracts and consolidates metadata from target SQL Server databases - AldexSoftware.co.uk.
SQLMetaTool is a standalone software tool that is designed to extract information, or more specifically metadata (data about data), from existing SQL Server databases and store this information in a central database. This central database can then be interrogated to retrieve details about the original databases in a unified and easy to use manner. SQLMetaTool supports all editions of Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005 and 2008 and will be invaluable for both DBAs and developers.
Some of it’s many features include a source code repository, database object histories, string search functions, a data dictionary including a ‘suspect’ column viewer, displays of database settings and values, graphs of table sizes and index fragmentation and a dependency viewer. A free evaluation mode download is available.
With SQLMetaTool you can:
• Recover an earlier version of a stored procedure, even if it's been deleted.
• Compare the current version of a stored procedure with an earlier one and highlight any changes.
• Find references to a text string across all table definitions, stored procedures, views, UDFs, etc.
• View a summary of essential information about your databases (database and log sizes, recovery models, last backup dates, compatibility levels, etc.).
• View a list of changes over time to an object, such as a table or a UDF.
• View dependencies in a colour coded treeview display.
• List columns across all tables for a specific data type.
• Automatically identify 'suspect' column data types, such as columns with the same name but different sizes, data types or collations in different tables.
• Identify fragmented indexes and generate T-SQL rebuild or reindex scripts.
• List tables by the number of pages or the number of rows.
• View a graph of index sizes.
• View a data dictionary including schemas, column names, data types, sizes, collations, constraints, and FK details.
Further details and a free evaluation download are available from Aldexsoftware.co.uk/.