The world's first biotech company created from an integrative biology research program has finalized proofs of concept and gears up for business development.
1. During summer 2009, the Pherecydes-Pharma team finalized the development and the validation of its three patented innovations. BMSystems invented and designed all 3 technologies, using its predictive integrative biology process (CADI™). Pherecydes Pharma did the job to validate the concepts and today industrial applications are ready to go.
This demonstrates once again the strength of CADI™, to deliver patentable and immediately applicable results.
2. Pherecydes-Pharma achieved a first 1.15 M € financial round and was granted 500 K€ from Oséo, the French governmental innovation agency.
3. Pherecydes-Pharma recruited Dr. Jérôme Gabard, its new CEO to launch the industrial and business development. “Since incorporation, Pherecydes Pharma has been running underground, to successfully develop revolutionary technologies using phages and accelerated protein evolution” said Jérôme. "Interestingly enough, the company has been spotted by overseas conference organizations and invited to speak at Biodetection Technologies (2008) in Atlanta (USA), at the Edinburg Phage World Conference (2008) and the NSTI Nanotechnology Conference (2009) in Houston (TX, USA)". "But until late September 2009, scientists were fully focused on the validation and the development of our disruptive technologies and mostly silent about our activities". "The time has come to communicate” said Jérôme “because Pherecydes Pharma holds very exciting nanotechnology tools, with applications in a in a wide variety of fields”.
Fields of application are numerous.
· Create a new generation of fast detection tools for industrial, environment and medical diagnostics,
· Develop new therapeutic solutions against bacterial infections, including an elegant answer for killing current resistant strains and the likely new ones to occur,
· Produce new disinfection products for controlling infectious agents, including nosocomial threats,
· Develop nanodevices for preventing the risk of a pandemic bioterrorism infection,
· To design new types of formulation using a living or dead phage for transporting a key molecule,
· Offer a process for generating active analogues of bioproducts with applications in therapeutics, crop protection, and industrial enzymes.
Pherecydes-Pharma and Bio-Modeling Systems are participating to BIO Europe 2009 in Vienna from November 1-4, 2009. BioXplain, first Open Platform for Iterative, Predictive and Integrative Biology will be introduced during the conference, with BMSystems partners: BioXpr and Kayentis
About Bio-Modeling Systems
BMSystems is a research-based biotech company that creates CADI™ (Computer Assisted Deductive Integration) models to harness & explain the non-linear mechanisms of life and disease, thus revealing “pertinent” biomarkers & therapeutic targets.
CADI™ is a modeling approach based on negative selection processes. Since 2004, biological models generated using CADI™ have repeatedly allowed researchers to take the best possible decisions, for the best possible results, in a minimum of time and resources addressing key R&D challenges such as:
1. Disease/pathology understanding / redefinition, new therapeutic strategies, new associations of existing molecules
2. Identification/selection of pertinent predictive Biomarkers
3. R&D programs evaluation and validation
4. Predictive efficacy and safety profiles
5. Drug (re)positioning /(re)profiling/ rescue
6. Proposition of new bioproduction processes through micro-organisms’ modifications, …
Thus, leading to better, faster, cheaper and safer life sciences R&D processes.
The results obtained with CADI™ in the Creutzfeldt-Jakob (neurodegenerative) disease research program will be presented at the 3rd edition of the European scientific conference Be Live IT in Brussels (October 20-21, 2009). This work received in 2009 a Bio-IT World Best Practices Award from the Cambridge Healthtech Institute. Please join us there.
About Pherecydes Pharma
Pherecydes-Pharma SA (pherecydes-pharma.com) is a bio-nanotechnology Company established in December 2006. Shareholders are Financière de Brienne and Fond Sécurité (VC funds advised by ACE Management), as well as Bio-Modeling Systems. For more details, we warmly invite you to discover Pherecydes-Pharma's new website.
Dr. Jérôme Gabard (PhD) joined Pherecydes Pharma on September 1st 2009. Since the late eighties, Dr. Gabard has been working in a variety of life sciences areas. He started at the bench, in plant biotechnology, at E.I. DuPont De Nemours and Co., Wilmington (DE, USA). In the mid nineties, he moved to research program supervision and project development at DuPont de Nemours SA (France) ERDC. Then, he drove a diagnostic product development at Qualicon. From 2001 to 2004, he was CEO of Euroclide SA (a GPCR receptor screening specialized Co.), which became part of Faust Pharmaceuticals, (today Domain Therapeutics), through merger acquisition. Until August 2009, he was holding the position of Life Sciences Director at The MarkeTech Group, the international marketing consulting firm dedicated to market research for life sciences products.