In the past, Japanese, Korean, South Asian as well as Greater China players have dominated the coveted titles. This year, they were joined by notable rising stars that have ousted competition and claimed prestigious titles at the banquet.
The first timers include Vietnam's incumbent telecom operator VietTel as the 2009 emerging market service provider of the year; Thailand's Total Access Communications, for the most innovative application 'ATMSIM' that enables customers to use ATM services via their mobile phones. Hong Kong based Tandberg Television was honoured as the consumer video vendor of the year for its exemplary growth across the region despite the growing competition and economic slowdown while Sun Cellular from the Philippines clinched the most promising service provider of the year.
The Awards seek to recognize companies and individuals that have pushed the boundaries of excellence - rising above the competition and demonstrating outstanding performance in the ICT industry across the region for base year 2008.
Nitin Bhat, senior vice president of ICT practice, Asia Pacific, Frost & Sullivan, says "Factors ranging from market saturation, increased customer acquisition costs, fluctuating exchange rates and commoditisation of offerings were the characteristics of the market for ICT companies in 2008. Delivery of value rather than a plain product and service offering was the ultimate goal for the award recipients in the past year. This value creation was driven by a combination of product and service innovation, business model flexibility and unwavering focus on the customer."
A total of 33 coveted titles were conferred to 27 companies in the ICT industry, representing the entire spectrum of enterprise solution vendors, telecom equipment vendors and service providers in Asia Pacific. The award recipients were selected from a short list of 85 key ICT players, telecommunications companies and regulatory bodies operating across Asia Pacific.
Selection process included a rigorous procedure whereby a team of 30 leading Frost & Sullivan analysts short listed, researched and evaluated the contenders in each category, applying the same thorough approach that has been the hallmark of Frost & Sullivan globally.
The findings of the detailed evaluation were then presented to an independent panel of judges comprising influential personalities, decision makers and thought leaders in the Asia Pacific ICT industry. By the selection that they have made they have themselves pushed the boundaries of innovation and corporate excellence.
All contenders were evaluated based on a variety of actual market performance indicators which include revenue growth, market share and growth in market share, leadership in product innovation, breadth of products and solutions, major customer acquisitions, and business and market strategy, amongst other category-specific criteria.
Honoring the Gems of Asia
Frost & Sullivan congratulates all the outstanding recipients of the 2009 Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific ICT Awards:
Enterprise Vendor Category
Business Intelligence Vendor of the Year – SAS
• Network Security Vendor of the Year – Juniper Networks
• Application Networking Vendor of the Year – F5 Networks
• Contact Center Applications Vendor of the Year – Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories
• Contact Center Outsourcing Service Provider of the Year – IBM Daksh
• Conferencing & Collaboration Service Provider of the Year – Intercall
• Video Conferencing Vendor of the Year – Tandberg
• Enterprise Telephony Vendor of the Year – Cisco Systems
• Unified Communications Vendor of the Year – Microsoft
Telecom Vendor Category
• Consumer Video Vendor of the Year – Tandberg Television
• Optical Vendor of the Year – Alcatel-Lucent
• Broadband Equipment Vendor of the Year – Huawei Technologies
• Wireless Infrastructure Vendor of the Year – Huawei Technologies
• Telecom BSS Vendor of the Year – Comverse
• Telecom OSS Vendor of the Year – Nokia Siemens Networks
• 3G Wireless Infrastructure Vendor of the Year – Ericsson
• Telecom Managed Service Provider of the Year – Ericsson
• Carrier Data Infrastructure Vendor of the Year – Cisco Systems
Service Provider Category
• Converged Service Provider of the Year – Telstra
• Fixed Broadband Service Provider of the Year – Chunghwa Telecom
• Data Communications Service Provider of the Year – Orange Business Services
• Satellite Service Provider of the Year – Asia Satellite Telecommunications
• Emerging Market Service Provider of the Year – Viettel
• Managed Service Provider of the Year – Orange Business Services
• Wireless Data Service Provider of the Year – NTT
• Wireless Service Provider of the Year – Bharti Airtel
Best of the Best Awards
• Most Innovative Application of the Year – Total Access Communications, Thailand for 'ATMSIM'
• Most Promising Vendor of the Year – Infinera
• Vendor of the Year – Huawei Technologies
• CEO of the Year: Service Provider – Masayoshi Son, Softbank
• Most Promising Service Provider of the Year – Sun Cellular
• Service Provider of the Year – Bharti Airtel
• Best Telecom Group – Axiata
Itel is the strategic partner for the banquet. The Wall Street Journal Asia is the official newspaper partner while PR Newswire is the official newswire. Media partners include Asian Channels, Biztech2.com, Business Today, Network Computing, Strategic Path Asia and ZDNet Asia.
About the Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific ICT Awards
The Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific ICT Awards is held annually to recognize outstanding performance by companies and individuals in the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) industry in Asia Pacific. The awards are presented to companies that demonstrate best practices in their industry, commending the diligence, commitment, and innovative business strategies required to advance in the global marketplace. It has attracted some of the leading names in technology on a single platform to compete for the most coveted titles in ICT. Now in its sixth consecutive year, the 2009 Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific ICT Awards will once again recognize companies and individuals that have pushed the boundaries of excellence - rising above the competition and demonstrating outstanding performance across the region. Benchmarked against the highest standards of measurement criteria, the recipients of these awards indeed represent the best-in-class in Asia Pacific. For more information on the awards, research and judging process, and past recipients, please visit ict-awards.com/.
About Frost & Sullivan
Frost & Sullivan, the Growth Partnership Company, enables clients to accelerate growth and achieve best in class positions in growth, innovation and leadership. The company's Growth Partnership Service provides the CEO and the CEO's Growth Team with disciplined research and best practice models to drive the generation, evaluation and implementation of powerful growth strategies. Frost & Sullivan leverages over 45 years of experience in partnering with Global 1000 companies, emerging businesses and the investment community from more than 35 offices on six continents.
Corporate Communications – Asia Pacific