PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 2009/05/25 - Australia’s leading digital publisher, NewsDigitalMedia.com.au, today released the findings of its Insight Report – Connecting Campaigns.
The survey of more than 7,000 users of News Digital Media’s news, sport, entertainment, search and shopping sites found a strong opportunity exists for targeted advertising online in Australia.
45% of respondents said they would prefer to receive advertisements that are targeted to their interests - nearly double those who did not prefer receiving online ads targeting their interests.
The News Digital Media Insight Report – Connecting Campaigns also found:
• A campaign’s success should be judged by traditional metrics such as intent to purchase and not just click through rates with respondents most likely (49%) to search for products they are genuinely interested in later via a search engine after viewing an ad. This was followed by going to the company’s website by typing the URL (46%) and clicking on the ad (46%).
• Young people are more likely to search for a product after seeing an advertisement with 60% of respondents under the age of 18 saying they search for a product as a result of seeing an ad. The number of respondents who search for products after seeing an ad decreased as respondents got older.
• Trust of the host site has a significant impact on the believability of the advertising with 42% of respondents finding advertising more credible on host websites they trust.
• An overwhelming majority (93%) believe the internet is the most useful media channel to inform users about a new product or service.
• Campaigns need to be innovative and creative to avoid detrimental effects on the brand with 57% liking a brand less if they have annoying advertising.
• Majority of respondents (60%) said they do not report a particularly annoying advertisement to the advertiser, publisher or government body, but they will tell their friends, family and colleagues.
• Majority of respondents (70%) said ads playing sound automatically are not okay with 59% turning their sound off to avoid it playing unexpectedly.
• 92% of respondents have watched video clips or video content on a website with news and current events, movie trailers and music clips being the most popular categories for video.
• The longer the video clip, the less likely people are to watch it online. Of the video content watched online, 94% will watch individual clips of lengths below five minutes.
• Internet speed remains the biggest barrier to watching video content for respondents, followed by preferring to watch video content using a TV or other method, being too busy and cost to download.
• 71% of respondents feel confident about using credit cards with websites they trust.
Chief Commercial Officer for News Digital Media, Ed Smith said, “It has never been so important for brands to stay in front of the competition and in the minds of consumers.”
“Our in-depth understanding of our audiences enables us to work more strategically with our advertisers by providing an insight into who they are, what motivates them, what they do online and why.”
“What we saw in the Connecting Campaigns report is a strong preference from consumers to receive advertisements targeted to their interests. Similarly to what occurs with magazines, users will be able to see advertisements that are targeted towards their needs.”
“Trust of the host website remains crucial to a brand developing an effective and cost efficient campaign online with 42% of respondents finding advertising more credible on host websites they trust.”
“The report’s findings provide a clearer picture on user habits that need to be considered when developing a campaign, such as, actively avoiding advertisements that automatically play sound by turning their volume down and not watching videos more than five minutes in length.”
“We look forward to working with clients to ensure the delivery of effective campaigns across the NDM network of more than 11.7 unique browsers per month,” Mr Smith said.
About News Digital Media
News Digital Media (newsdigitalmedia.com.au) is one of Australia’s largest and most innovative digital media publishers. Its network includes news.com.au, truelocal.com.au, careerone.com.au, carsguide.com.au, moshtix.com.au and the websites for News Limited’s newspapers including The Australian, The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, The Courier Mail and The Advertiser. News Digital Media’s sales team, which has won B&T’s ‘Sales Team of the Year’ for the past two years, represents Australia’s largest network of news, sport and weather properties. News Digital Media is the online division of News Corporation’s Australian subsidiary News Limited.
News Digital Media is a carbon neutral company.