PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Mountain View, CA, United States, 2009/04/15 - Advanced networking capabilities, smarter weapons.
Frost & Sullivan's assessment of communication technologies for military defense finds that weapon data links and advanced networking techniques play an increasingly pivotal role in tactical battle management.
• Communication technologies for military applications have reached such levels of sophistication that defense personnel can instantly share critical intelligence data and seamlessly transfer command and control instructions.
• Software-defined communication architectures have facilitated the integration of advanced communication capabilities onto ballistic missiles and weapon data links.
• Network-centric concepts contribute to the growth in military communications, while a better-networked weapon deployment system will hasten revolutionary improvements in war fighter capabilities.
• Interoperability remains a key challenge in military communications, especially between coalition forces for instantaneous sharing of intelligence data.
• There are not adequate standards that can guarantee complete interoperability in the future, making it imperative for industry leaders to influence technology developers, researchers, and the rest of the industry to develop a mutually beneficial, yet secure set of interoperable standards.
• "Recent advances in weapon data communications have enabled in-flight tracking and retargeting of the launched missile," says Technical Insights Research Analyst Anirudh S. Srinivasan. "Another major development is the notion of data-linking munitions, which will enable the missiles to 'talk to one another' and permit them to coordinate 'swarming' attacks."
• "The standardized architecture enables a common and interoperable interface between weapons and remote deployment systems," observes Sundararaman. "Systems integrators are able to exploit reusable artifacts in achieving cost and schedule economies when developing new weapon deployment and fire control systems."
For a virtual brochure for Frost & Sullivan's, "Assessment of Communication Technologies for Military Defense," please contact Christina Alfaro, christina.alfaro[.]frost.com.
Technical Insights (technicalinsights.frost.com), a division of Frost & Sullivan, is an international technology analysis business that produces a variety of technical news alerts, newsletters, and research services.
About Frost & Sullivan
Frost & Sullivan, the Growth Partnership Company, enables clients to accelerate growth and achieve best in class positions in growth, innovation and leadership. The company's Growth Partnership Service provides the CEO and the CEO's Growth Team with disciplined research and best practice models to drive the generation, evaluation and implementation of powerful growth strategies. Frost & Sullivan leverages over 45 years of experience in partnering with Global 1000 companies, emerging businesses and the investment community from 31 offices on six continents.