Since its launch in November, more than 300,000 copies of Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac have been downloaded. All registered users of this version qualify for the free update, which will be available online and via the product’s AutoUpdater feature. The update results from Parallels’ commitment to constantly enhancing this premium solution to meet the growing demands and requirements of its 1.5 million users.
"I’ve been using Parallels Desktop for Mac since version 3.0 came out, and there is plenty of improvement with version 4.0," said Jack James, a Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac user. "It means that I can run two Windows-only applications — Microsoft Office and 3D Studio MAX — without needing a separate PC, and without having to reboot constantly. The last version allowed me to run my Windows applications fine, but with the new version, everything is easier, faster and more reliable, and it even looks glossier! I use it with both Windows XP (with Boot Camp) and Vista, and both work well. The only thing I was hoping to see was extended DirectX support, and the new update offers this, which should make a significant difference when doing 3D work."
The Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac update includes new features and enhancements to offer users the easiest, fastest and most powerful way to run Windows on a Mac.
Get easy access to all your applications and data while enjoying the complete Mac experience.
• Apple remote disk support — take advantage of the shared CD or DVD drive on another Mac in Windows (or install Windows from a shared CD/DVD on another Mac);
• Silent start in Coherence — start Windows automatically in the background when you open a Windows application on the Mac desktop;
• Ability to drag Windows files to Mac applications in the Dock — quickly and simply share files across operating systems, for example drag .MP3 files to iTunes to listen to them.
Experience the fastest speed for all applications with the latest performance acceleration technologies.
• DirectX 9.0 with Shaders Model 2 support — including support for Vertex Shaders for richer gaming experience;
• Intel® Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE4) support — get better performance from media applications;
• Faster Suspend/ Resume operations — start and pause the virtual machine more quickly.
Run Windows smoothly on your Mac with the complete suite of most powerful essentials for Internet security, data protection and disk management.
• Improved CPU usage for longer battery life — less power is required to run the virtual machine, so the hardware can run on battery for longer.
Developer and Enterprise Ready
Support for cutting edge technologies enables developers and IT administrators the ability to stay up to date.
• Support for Mac OS X Snow Leopard as a primary operating system (experimental) — run Windows, Linux or more than 50 other operating systems on top of Apple’s next major version of the Mac OS X operating system;
• Support for Windows 7 inside a virtual machine (experimental) — run Microsoft’s next major version of the Windows operating system side-by-side with Mac OS X.
Customer Experience Program
Ensure Parallels continues to meet your needs by providing information on your use priorities and preferences. Customers choose to opt in or out at installation and can fully control their settings through the configuration editor.
"Parallels is committed to delivering a premium desktop computing solution that directly meets user needs," said Serguei Beloussov, CEO of Parallels. "With Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac, that means giving users an experience that is as easy, fast and powerful as possible. The Customer Experience Program we’re introducing will help us ensure we continue to make progress on this goal."
The update also introduces a number of enhancements to improve performance and address the most commonly reported installation or upgrade errors. As part of Parallels’ commitment to offering a premium experience, users are able to report and discuss issues with our support team via phone or email 24 hours a day and completely free of charge. Details can be found online.
Continued Momentum for the Industry-Leading Client Virtualization Product
This update further improves Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac, the latest version of the market-leading premium Mac client virtualization product, which already offers users the most complete Windows-on-Mac experience with $175 of extra value in Parallels Internet Security powered by Kaspersky, Acronis True Image Home and Acronis Disk Director Suite.
Parallels Desktop for Mac has won more than 25 major awards since its initial launch in June 2006, and has proven to be beneficial to many users around the world. See our Customer Spotlights for more information.
Availability and Pricing
The new update is available free to all registered Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac users. The standard retail price (SRP) of Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac is $79.99 for new users and $49.99 for upgraders. New users can test a free, fully-functional copy for 15 days. Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac is available in English and localized versions including Chinese, Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Polish and Russian. Please check with a Parallels representative for local availability.
Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac is available for purchase at Amazon.com, Apple Store, Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, MacMall, MicroCenter, Office Depot, Staples and hundreds of other retailers.
Volume pricing and site-license opportunities are also available for new customers by contacting the Parallels Sales Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-282-6400.
Further information, video tutorials and screenshots of key features in action are available at parallels.com/desktop.
About Parallels — Optimized Computing
Parallels (parallels.com) is a worldwide leader in virtualization and automation software that optimizes computing for consumers, businesses, and service providers across all major hardware, operating systems, and virtualization platforms. Founded in 1999, Parallels is a fast-growing company with 800 employees in North America, Europe, and Asia.