Metrics Inc. has opened a new larger scale manufacturing facility with a production capability of 1 billion tablets per year.
As part of its recent facility expansion, the company has brought online two packaging lines, two granulating rooms and three compressing rooms including a double-sided, 45-station tablet press. Because of this growth, Metrics now can handle batch sizes up to 500 kilograms with a blending capacity of 46 cubic feet and a total capacity of 1 billion tablets per year.
The new manufacturing space comes as a result of the company’s recently completed $18-million, 47,000-square-foot expansion that doubled its overall facility size and dramatically grew service offerings to clients.
Metrics Inc., headquartered in Greenville, N.C., provides quality pharmaceutical formulation development, clinical trial material (Phase I, II and III) and commercial manufacturing, and analytical development / validation services to the pharmaceutical industry.
“For those of us who have worked with Metrics since its beginning, it has been a long-time dream to offer a full array of services that allow clients to keep development and commercial manufacturing projects under our roof,” said Phil Hodges, president. “It’s exciting to see the dream come to life, and we hope the additional capacity makes Metrics an even more attractive partner to clients and potential clients.”
The manufacturing suites are fully qualified and reflect Metrics’ excellent regulatory track record. While Metrics’ manufacturing suites usually produce solid dosage tablets and capsules, the company also can accommodate topical powders and oral liquids. Specific services include:
• High shear wet granulation;
• Fluid bed drying;
• Top spray fluid bed granulation;
• Direct compression;
• Direct powder fill encapsulation;
• Wurster coating;
• 48-inch pancoating and
• Bottle packaging.
In addition, Metrics now can handle on a development-, clinical- and commercial-scale controlled substances Schedule II through V.
The $18-million, 47,000-square-foot facility addition at Metrics also includes:
• Four new analytical laboratories. The labs are fully operational, validated and ready for projects.
• Stability storage. Metrics provides state-of-the-art ESI chambers with redundant mechanical systems. For chambers without redundancy, Metrics maintains empty back-up chambers pre-set to condition. Access is strictly limited to authorized personnel.
• A dedicated cytotoxic and potent laboratory.
• A new microbiology laboratory. Metrics has brought antibiotic assay and sterility testing online, enhancing its ability to offer full microbiological support of sterile products. The company routinely performs bacterial endotoxin and particulate matter testing on parenterals.
As part of its growth, Metrics is increasing staff, adding at least 50 pharmaceutical scientists and technicians, among them industry veterans with the experience to oversee projects from conception through completion.
Metrics is one of the fastest-growing contract pharmaceutical development laboratories in the United States today.