PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Alexandria, VA, United States, 2008/10/24 - The National Motor Freight Traffic Association, Inc. (NMFTA), Commodity Classification Standards Board (CCSB), and the Classification Resource Committee (CRC) held their October Meetings in Alexandria, VA from October 20 to Tuesday, October, 21.
This marks the third meeting of the NMFTA|CCSB|CRC since the implementation of the new organizational structure and procedures that went into effect December 6, 2007. These procedures allowed for the continued development and maintenance of the National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC) without the need for antitrust immunity.
The NMFTA convened in the afternoon of Monday, October 20th and held the annual election of its Board of Directors. The elected NMFTA Officers are:
• Larry Kerr, Chairman
• Robert B. Block, Vice Chairman
• James E. Morse, Treasurer
“In light of the current economic conditions affecting many of us, I am especially glad that so many of our Members were able to join us demonstrating their continued dedication and commitment to the Classification”, stated Larry Kerr, NMFTA Chairman and President & CEO of Shippers Express, Inc., Jackson, MS.
The CCSB convened on Tuesday, October 21st. The CCSB discussed 23 classification subjects of which shipper and third party representatives were present at 3 of the proposals being considered. Significant commodity reclassifications resulting from the CCSB meeting correspond to the following items:
• Paint and Related Materials;
• Blackboards or Chalkboards, NOI; Corkboard or Tackboards; or Whiteboards, Dry Erase Boards or Markerboards, NOI;
• Shopping Carts;
• Plastic Pallets, Platforms or Skids, including Spill Containment Pallets;
• Air Registers, Diffusers or Grilles;
• Fuel Dispensing Pumps;
• Air Springs;
• Materials Handling Machines.
Dispositions have been published and are now available for viewing on NMFTA’s website.
The CCSB also:
• Eliminated released value provisions for Poisonous or Toxic Materials;
• Established minimum packaging requirements for various Ladders and Stepladders;
• Amended the provisions for Aluminum Articles, NOI, and Sheet Steel Articles, NOI, by assigning an extended full density scale;
• Amended Item 222, the Fibreboard Box rule, with respect to Fibreboard Test Procedures;
• Revised and updated Item 222-5, Styles of Fibreboard Boxes, and Item 222-6, Definitions of Terms and Abbreviations relating to Fibreboard Boxes;
• Established a definition for Environmental or Event Monitors, Indicators or Recorders in Item 680, the general Packing or Packaging rule.
Additionally a number of committee and subcommittee meetings took place during the course of the 2 days allowing for more in-depth discussions on weighing & research, interline procedures, government relations and membership outreach. The next meeting of the NMFTA|CCSB|CRC will take place February 1-4, 2009 at the La Costa Resort and Spa in Carlsbad, California.
Founded in 1956, NMFTA (nmfta.org) is a nonprofit membership organization headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia. Its membership is comprised of motor carriers operating in interstate, intrastate and foreign commerce. NMFTA’s mission is to serve as a research and development organization providing the transportation industry with the necessary information to advance and improve their interests and welfare. NMFTA is committed to helping the industry meet the transportation challenges through research, education, and publication of specifications, rules, transportation codes and the preparation and dissemination of studies, reports and analyses.
On behalf of participating member motor carriers, NMFTA’s autonomous CCSB maintains the National Motor Freight Classification. NMFTA also assigns and publishes the Standard Carrier Alpha Codes (SCAC), a unique two-to-four-letter code used to identify transportation companies worldwide, and the Standard Point Location Codes (SPLC), a nine-digit numeric code designed to provide each point originating freight and each point receiving freight in North America with a unique number so constructed as to identify the point with its geographic location.
For more information on NMFTA and its products/services, contact us at 866.411.NMFC (6632).