PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Red Bank, NJ, United States, 2008/10/20 - R. Baker & Son, a global dismantlement, rigging, decommissioning and building demolition contractor, listed in the Directory of Wood-Framed Building Deconstruction and reused Building Materials by the USDA Forest Products Laboratory.
This directory lists companies involved in wood-framed building deconstruction and dismantling and reused building materials, with an emphasis on those that use, resell, or remanufacture salvaged wood. The purpose of the directory is to provide a consumer and business resource for locating companies offering a variety of products and services including:
• Partial or whole building removals, with a focus on wood materials recovery and reuse;
• Brokering, buying, or selling salvaged wood building materials;
• Producing, buying, or selling specialized salvaged wood products, such as architectural items or re-milled flooring;
• Construction and timber-framing using reclaimed wood in new construction or remodeling;
• To a lesser extent, ancillary services such as environmental remediation, recycling, and equipment used in building deconstruction.
Companies in the directory range in scope from those that carry out targeted building removals, such as historic barns, strictly for the purpose of harvesting the antique wood in these buildings, to companies that conduct residential and commercial demolition where the primary goal is building removal and the materials are recovered opportunistically as a by-product. The bulk of companies listed are those that either salvage or sell building materials.
Wood-framed building deconstruction is a specific approach to remove materials for reuse in such a way as to preserve their integrity and value to the greatest extent possible and as economically as possible. Deconstruction is generally perceived as manual disassembly of a building, although various combinations of manual and mechanical methods are being studied to improve cost and time performance. Solid wood recovery rates of 50% to 90% are not uncommon. Deconstruction emphasizes a hierarchy of material use; reuse first, then recycle. For example, it is deemed preferable to reuse a recovered timber beam in its whole form rather than grind it up and recycle it into mulch or boiler fuel.
R. Baker & Son is listed in the directory in several places including:
• Wood Framed Building Deconstruction and Reused Building Materials Companies in New Jersey;
• Companies Performing Deconstruction / Soft Stripping;
• Companies Performing Demolition / Selective Dismantling.
The directory can be downloaded for free online at U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, the Forest Products Laboratory (FPL) website.
About R. Baker & Son All Industrial Services
R. Baker & Son All Industrial Services (rbaker.com) is the premier specialized contractor for dismantlement, decommissioning, plant relocations and demolition in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada. The Veteran owned company has been in business since 1935, has over 100 employees, an exemplary safety record (We have been directly involved in four (4) projects that have been awarded VPP OSHA site safety awards) and is financially strong (bonding over $10 Million). Capabilities include total turn-key plant and facility dismantlement, decommissioning, building demolition, onsite concrete crushing as well as heavy equipment rigging, entire plant relocations, machinery moving and millwright services.