Synology Inc. today officially released the Disk Station Manager 2.0 September Beta. Resuming earlier success, the Disk Station Manager 2.0 September Beta highlights a wide range of newly added business features, including RAID 6 volume type, built-in NFS, Link Aggregation, Virtual Host, as well as an extensive scope of function enhancements covering Download Station 2, File Station, Audio Station, Photo Station, Surveillance Station, and many more.
"Synology never relents on perfecting our firmware upgrades," says Edward Lin, marketing director of Synology, "we aim to ceaselessly refine all existent applications while at the same time continuously develop and blend in more useful functions with their forerunners." Holding users as the center of all upgrade thresholds, the launch of Disk Station Manager 2.0 September Beta is the embodiment of such principle.
Browsing through the new business features, RAID 6 volume type is now supported for advanced data protection elevating security level. In the meantime, apart from supporting S.M.A.R.T. function of the hard drives, the Disk Station Manager 2.0 also runs S.M.A.R.T. test which helps to monitor, detect, and report hard disk status on an automatic basis alerting possible hard drive failures and avoiding probable data loss.
Large amount of manual costs are saved by the Beta version. The built-in NFS can now be easily enabled on management UI along with privileges setup, sparing all previous manual procedures. And creating large amount of new users will no longer be a time-consuming process by applying the Batch User function.
Under the premise that the Web Station is activated, the Virtual Host settings give users the access to host multiple websites on one single server by taking economic interests of the corporate into thoughtful deliberation. Moreover, the dual-port Link Aggregation offers users load sharing and failover supports to ensure a working environment free from interruption.
Enhancement wise, Local Backup can now perform multiple backup tasks with friendly Wizard guiding users along the way. Software Development Director of Synology Derren Lu comments, "the enhanced FTP server presents the advanced privileges of ‘write-only’ and limits the maximum connection from each IP. Furthermore, by supporting UTF-8, users will no longer face disordered coding issue and the language barrier is torn down." And a whole new Download Station 2 offers new channels like eMule and NZB while allowing partial file download from BitTorrent.
"With a huge step forward," continues Derren, "the Surveillance Station now fully supports MPEG-4 and megapixel IP cameras, includes the new alarm recording mode for external input triggering, and comes together with real-time basis mode to be watched on full screen. Amazingly, the list of IP camera models supported by our September Beta is almost 70."
Tired from work and want to lay back but cannot find USB speakers to play your stored data base music? Audio Station with its new web streaming capability makes it possible by streaming music to the client PC while watching photos is now enjoyed in a 3 dimensional way and the dazzling PicLens support is also available from the Photo Station 3.
To re-intensify the strengths and to take a more detailed look of the Disk Station Manager 2.0 September Beta, please notice:
1. Extra Data Protection: RAID 6 volume type cuts off the risk of volume failure and doubles the protection (4 or more bay models).
2. Built-in NFS: No more trivial but inevitable manual process of setting up NFS is required. With built-in NFS option, users can set up privileges on the UI by a few checks only.
3. Link Aggregation: Provides share-loading and failover support for dual-LAN-port models.
4. Virtual Host: One single server to host multiple websites for a more efficient and economical purpose.
5. Batch Users: Helps to create user accounts on a batch basis.
6. HDD S.M.A.R.T.: Allows users to monitor, detect, and report the hard disks status to alert possible HDD failures.
7. Enhanced Surveillance Station: A new option of alarm-recording mode is added, the performance on motion-detection recording mode is improved along with MPEG-4 support. Snapshot taking is also available. In addition, almost 70 IP camera models are now found on the support list.
8. Enhanced Local Backup: Enables multiple scheduled Local Backup tasks with the assistance of Local Backup wizard.
9. Enhanced FTP Server: Presents the advanced privilege of "write-only", limits maximum connections from each individual IP, and supports UTF-8 language mode.
10. NEW Download Station 2: Supports two new download channels – eMule and NZB, and allows partial file download form BitTorrent.
11. Enhanced File Station: Users can now login on a separate page and customize the webpage banner in their own fashion.
12. Enhanced Audio Station: No USB speakers are required for playing music stored on the server anymore. The new streaming mode streams music to the client PC and delivers by built-in speakers.
13. Enhanced Photo Station 3: Supports theme customization, PicLens 3-dimensional browsing, and delivers embellished photo slideshow.
14. Enhanced Hibernation: Improved hibernation mechanism is introduced particularly for Western Digital hard drives not sleeping while in hibernation.
Synology Disk Station Manager 2.0 September Beta firmware upgrade applies for the following models: DS508, RS408/RS408-RP, RS407, CS407, DS207+, DS107+, CS407e, DS207, DS107,DS107e, DS108j, DS-106j, and would be the last firmware update for DS-101j, DS-106, DS-106e, CS-406, CS-406e, RS-406.
Synology Inc, founded in April of 2000, is dedicated to bringing a NEW NAS experience to the public. It aims to provide people with an easy-to-use, feature-rich, energy efficient, and affordable way of storing and sharing digital content. Synology products are designed with resource savings in mind - energy efficient, small footprint, and environmentally friendly. Users' investments are protected with free software upgrades and 24/7 online support. This makes Synology products an ideal choice for users from the Home, Small Workgroup, Small Business, and Corporate settings.