The Department of Export Promotion (DEP) is making another move to position Bangkok International Gift Fair and Bangkok International Houseware Fair (BIG&BIH) as “Boutique Fair of Asia” with purpose to create the distinction and strength of Thai products in global market with unique Thai designs.
On the significance of BIG&BIH held annually every April and October, Mr. Rachane Potjanasunthorn, Director-General, the Department of Export Promotion, stated, “The essence of BIG&BIH fair is to showcase products with unique and outstanding designs that attract buyers from around the world, especially those from the United States, Europe and Japan which are our main target.”
“Now, we are trying to create our fair [BIG&BIH] to become a ‘Boutique Fair’ up to the regional level. The concept is similar to a large-boutique clothing store with its uniquely designed outfits offering to boutique buyers,” Mr. Rachane said.
“The key factor to the show’s success is whether or not our products meet buyers’ specific requirements. That’s the reason why Thai designers and producers have to keep themselves updated with the global trend in order to fulfill their client’s needs,” he emphasized.
DEP’s Director-General, added that, to reach the goal, the department has been carrying out various activities to build up Thai manufacturers and product designers with better understanding of customer’s needs and behaviors for years. The scheme is put into action by DEP’s Office of Product Value Development in a close cooperation with private sectors involved, such as Thai Gifts Premiums & Decorative Association and Design & Objects Association.
‘Product Design Development Based on Global Trend for BIG&BIH Exhibitors’ is one of the activities the Office of Product Value Development is preparing to exercise under its purpose to keep Thai manufacturers and designers updated with up-and-coming market trend. The one-week program that will be carried out under the name ‘BIG Design Week’ consists of various activities including:
• ‘Design Talk’ -- a seminar on the design trends in 3 major markets (USA, Europe and Japan) featuring guest speakers from those target countries
• Design & Brand Workshop -- a three-day group workshops on designing and branding
• Design & Brand Clinic – providing consultant services in branding and designing by overseas experts
• Designer Mart – where designers will meet up with producers for business talks
In addition, the agency will also organize a set of special activities entitled “THAI DESIGN TO THE WORLD” in the next edition of BIG&BIH which will be held on April17-22, 2008 at Challenger Hall, Impact Arena Muang Thong Thani. The program includes:
1. Design Forum – Showcasing new collection of exporting products in sync with design & global trends
2. Trend Pavilion – Showcasing creative design trends by Thai designers, and Thai Design Trend, focusing on anti-global warming concept
3. Design in Thailand – Showcasing design works created by selected participants in DEP’s previous programs
4. Talent Thai April 2008 – Showcasing products designs from young Thai designers
5. Thailand Brand & Brand Clinic – Providing services on branding advice to local exporter
DEP, the fair’s organizer, anticipates about 1,000 producers in gift, premiums, home decorative items, household products, home textiles, toys and novelties, stationery, and office equipment from across Thailand to participate in BIG&BIH – April 2008. More than 100,000 visitors are expected to attend in the six-day-long trade show in next year’s summer. The target visitors are mainly buyers, importers and distributors from the United States of America, Europe, Japan, France, Germany, Italy and Australia.
For more information please contact
Office of International Trade Fair Activities, Department of Export Promotion
22/77 Ratchadapisek Rd., Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900, Thailand
T: +66 (0) 513 1909 to 15 x316, 317, 462 / F: +66 (0) 512 2234