TNT, the leading provider of global express and logistics services, today launched Asia’s first and only integrated road network across Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand, which will link more than 120 cities during phase one and many more once future expansion to Cambodia, Vietnam and China are complete. The 4,000km network offers businesses a cost and time effective solution with a land transport service that will provide significant savings compared to air freight and with transit times that are two to three times faster than sea freight.
Michael Drake, regional managing director, TNT Asia, said, “TNT has invested over EUR 2 million in the Asia Road Network, enabling us to provide a truly differentiated integrated road express delivery service. With our expertise in import-export regulations throughout the region, the Asia Road Network offers an unrivalled day definite express delivery service. For example, door to door transit times from Singapore to Bangkok take just three working days, which provides cost and time benefits for customers,” said Drake.
“Besides providing our customers an alternative option next to our extensive range of services, TNT’s pioneering service is a strategic investment as road infrastructure continues to improve in many parts of Asia,” he added.
The Asia Road Network – A Vital Link
The Asia Road Network is an important component of TNT’s service offering that provides a viable alternative to conventional land, sea and air transportation in the region.
As with all TNT services, the Asia Road Network offers customers a fully inclusive door-to-door, day definite solution with complete track and trace capabilities. Dedicated security trained drivers as well as container trucks equipped with Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) tracking provides peace-of-mind for customers with high-value goods such as electronic and computing components and automotive parts.
Plans for Future Expansion of the TNT Asia Road Network
TNT Asia Road Network currently serves Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. TNT will add Cambodia and Vietnam in the first half of 2006 and expects to grow the road network to include China by 2007.
“Our vision is to build an Asia Road Network as extensive as the one we have in Europe and the Middle East. The TNT European Road Network is the most extensive road delivery network in Europe. It links 33 countries, handles 4,000 Europe-wide international linehauls across 2,000,000 kilometres with 5,700 tonnes of freight every week,” said Michael Drake.
“Countries in Asia spend between 20-30 per cent of GDP on logistics which is substantially more than in Europe and the US where logistics costs are typically under ten per cent. Part of this reason is the absence of homogenous and well-connected road transportation network in Asia. The TNT Asia Road Network is the first step in enabling greater integration of road, sea and air capabilities for maximum cost and business efficiencies,” he added.
Notes to editors
1. TNT Express is the world’s leading business to business express delivery company. The company delivers 3.4 million parcels, documents and pieces of freight a week to over 200 countries using its network of nearly 900 depots, hubs and sortation centres. TNT Express operates over 19,000 road vehicles and 42 aircraft and has the biggest door-to-door air and road express delivery infrastructure in Europe.
2. TNT Express employs 45,000 staff worldwide and is the first ever organisation to achieve global recognition as an Investor in People. The company reported sales in 2004 of €4.7 billion. Profits of €96 million earned by TNT Express during Q3 2005 were higher by 37.1% than the same period in 2004 (€70 million).
3. TNT N.V. is a global provider of mail, express and logistics services. The group employs over 162,000 people in 63 countries and serves over 200 countries. For 2004 the company reported sales of €12.6 billion. TNT N.V. is publicly listed on the stock exchanges of Amsterdam, New York, London and Frankfurt.
4. TNT Express Asia is headed by Michael Drake, Regional Managing Director.
5. TNT Singapore is headed by Mark Shorney, Managing Director.