Network General™ Corporation, the leading provider of IT Service Assurance solutions, today introduced an in-depth application discovery and performance analysis solution. An integral part of Network General’s Network Intelligence Suite, Application Intelligence provides network and application managers with a rich set of application metrics that isolate application performance degradation while reducing the complexity inherent in packet decode analysis.
“Enterprises should invest in application level monitoring because it not only assists with more-fully qualifying the existence of problems, but it also enables the collection of metrics that report on the health of the business,” said Milind Govekar, Research VP, Gartner. “To do so, they must examine tools that provide base lining capability of the various application and infrastructure metrics to detect variation from normal behavior patterns. These capabilities will enable IT organizations to closely align their services with the business requirements and enable them to be more proactive in their service delivery and assurance.”
Network and application managers are challenged with an overwhelming need to analyze massive amounts of traffic, while managing application components distributed across the IT infrastructure. As a result, IT managers struggle to quickly pinpoint application issues and address the causes of performance degradation.
By transforming application performance data into detailed knowledge about the status of IT and business services, the Network Intelligence Suite provides self-service monitoring and reporting for business users through the following capabilities:
• Back-in-time views of application performance and a broad set of performance metrics are shared and leveraged for long-term analysis and reporting. The solution goes beyond analysis of basic traffic information by providing Flow and TCP Health statistics that extend over weeks or months;
• Isolate application performance issues quickly with customizable dashboards and reporting to view historical baselines, future performance trends, and sophisticated alerting on performance anomalies;
• Tune application response times and reduce mean time to problem resolution;
• Correlation of application performance data with all of the components that comprise an enterprise application flow. The performance of every application can now be compared with bandwidth usage, router performance, server availability, and all other relevant components that make up a Business Container;
• Application Intelligence metrics correlate the performance of individual technology components and the experience of the end user;
• Captures application performance and latency over the network, revealing end-to-end response times and specific network and server delays.
David Jung at Hyundai Information Systems North America, and an existing Sniffer InfiniStream product customer, oversees a network that supports thousands of Hyundai dealerships worldwide. “Collaborating with my applications team to optimize the end-user experience is a top priority and critical to business success.” Jung also said, “Recently I noticed an increase in trouble tickets regarding network response being slow. Application Intelligence on the InfiniStream product helped me narrow down the application in question and quickly pinpoint the issue to a faulty router interface.”
“The network’s role as an enabling technology for business applications continues to grow, driving the need for our customers to have an application’s view of the network,” said Ken Boyd, executive vice president of product delivery at Network General. “By providing a way to discover business applications hosted in the IT infrastructure, monitor the health of individual application components, and assure their performance through a unique correlation of network, server and application response times, the Network Intelligence Suite assures delivery of next generation networked applications.”
View the Network General “Application Performance Analysis”video on YouTube video ID: dRylDrdG_0w
About Network General Corporation
Network General™ is a leading provider of IT management solutions designed to integrate and simplify IT management and troubleshooting across IT domains, assuring the delivery of IT services. Network General’s solutions provide IT professionals with an end-to-end correlated view of the performance and availability of critical business services and the underlying network infrastructure. The Network General portfolio consists of innovative software solutions and intelligent appliances that monitor and manage all elements of the IT infrastructure including network devices, applications, and servers.
For more information on Network General, a privately-held company based in San Jose, California, dial +1-408-571-5000
Network General, Business Container, networkDNA, and the Network General logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Network General Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. Only Network General Corporation makes Sniffer® brand products.
All other registered and unregistered trademarks herein are the sole property of their respective owners. ©2006 Network General Corporation. All Rights Reserved.