PPG will present a full range of automotive coatings solutions during preview days at the 2017 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit’s Cobo Center, Jan. 11-12. As one of few companies worldwide to manufacture coatings in every major technology platform, PPG will use video and product exhibits to demonstrate coatings systems designed and engineered to protect and beautify virtually every surface in, on or under an automobile.
The company will showcase leading automotive coatings products and technologies such as:
• ENVIRO-PRIME® EPIC Electrocoat A 2016 R&D100 Award winner, Enviro-Prime EPIC electrocoat uses patented metal-free catalyst technology with superior smoothness to achieve world-class appearance, improved corrosion resistance and thin-film pretreatment performance. Since 1963, PPG electrocoat technologies have protected more than 840 million vehicles. This latest innovation is available for both vehicle body-in-white and functional-part protection, in high and hyper throwpower versions.
• ANDARO® Tint Dispersions Award-winning Andaro tint dispersions will be displayed in the full range of current-production colors and in new colors available for the 2019-2020 model years. Andaro technology provides the high chroma and color saturation associated with organic dyes, in a durable pigment that meets original-equipment-manufacturer (OEM) specifications, making it suitable for use in traditional automotive paint shops.
• Conductive and Display Coatings PPG’s spray-applied conductive coatings are engineered for obstacle-detection systems, self-dimming mirrors, seat warmers, airbag weight-detection systems and related applications. They also protect automotive components against radio-frequency interference (RFI), electromagnetic interference (EMI), electrostatic discharge (ESD) and lightning. PPG also will feature anti-smudge (AS), anti-glare (AG), anti-reflective (AR) and anti-fingerprint (AFP) transparent coatings for touchscreen panels.
• Interior and Exterior Coatings Interior coatings products include coatings for dashboards, door handles, climate control panels, gearshifts, appliques and badging. Exterior coatings encompass exclusive high-gloss monocoat finishes; etchable, ultraviolet-cure (UV-cure), high-luminance (chrome-like) coatings; and proprietary self-healing coatings that guard automotive parts and finishes against damage from road debris. PPG also will display paint-over-chrome-plating technologies for interior and exterior surfaces, including plastic.
• Adhesives and Sealants PPG provides solutions that help OEMs comply with today’s requirements for vehicle lightweighting and prepare them for future changes. The company’s adhesives, sealants and acoustic coatings are engineered for challenges, including crash-resistant structural adhesives, low-temperature-cure products, ultra-low-density sealants, and acoustic coatings with improved noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) performance for aluminum vehicles.
• Underhood and Underbody Part Coatings POWERCRON® ADVANTEDGE™ high-edge, metal-free high-epoxy electrocoats, VERSABOND® zinc-phosphate pretreatments and DRAGONHIDE® ZRE zinc-rich primers three advanced products featuring proprietary corrosion-fighting technology will be demonstrated alongside industry-proven PPG products such as ENVIROCRON® powder coatings; SPECTRACRON® liquid primers, topcoats and monocoats; and DURABULL® and Dragonhide heavy-duty polyurea-based bedliner coatings.
• Wheel Coatings PPG coatings for aluminum and steel wheels feature layering systems that integrate primers, basecoats and clearcoats, backed by PPG’s complete color-styling and color-matching capabilities and technical expertise.
Additionally, PPG will display its “Kulture” color collection for 2020 automotive models, which includes 70 new colors across four color-story trend palettes:
• Hour Glass evokes nostalgia for classic design but is refocused for the contemporary world. It consists of heritage colors such as royal blues, olive greens, refined browns and traditional reds.
ES/Sense reflects the idea that “less is more,” where simple, pure design and living in the moment are key. The subtle pastel and ceramic hues in varying degrees of saturation suggest a reaction against overexposure to social media and technology.
• IMpower represents a response to new ways of thinking, as well as new codes for design. It is a balance of extremely chromatic colors and complex subdued tones.
• Biocentric unifies the pursuit of an organic lifestyle with the emerging trend of space exploration. It offers a palette of nature-inspired hues with deep galactic tones.
Members of the media, VIP guests and automotive insiders can learn more about PPG automotive coatings solutions by visiting PPG’s hospitality suite in Room 420A on the third floor of Detroit’s Cobo Center, between noon and 8 pm. on Jan. 11 and between 7 am. and 8 pm. on Jan. 12.
For more information, visit ppgindustrialcoatings.com and ppgautocoatings.com, or call 1-888-774-2001.
PPG: WE PROTECT AND BEAUTIFY THE WORLD™
At PPG (ppg.com), we work every day to develop and deliver the paints, coatings and materials that our customers have trusted for more than 130 years. Through dedication and creativity, we solve our customers’ biggest challenges, collaborating closely to find the right path forward. With headquarters in Pittsburgh, we operate and innovate in more than 70 countries and reported net sales of $14.8 billion in 2015. We serve customers in construction, consumer products, industrial and transportation markets and aftermarkets.
We protect and beautify the world and Powercron AdvantEdge are trademarks and Dragonhide, Durabull, Envirocron, Powercron, Spectracron, Enviro-Prime, Andaro, Versabond and the PPG Logo are registered trademarks of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.
PPG Media Contact: Mike Millar - Automotive OEM Coatings
P: +1 248-641-2237 - E: millar[.]ppg.com.