Equinix, Inc., the global interconnection and data center company today announced that it has signed an agreement with Aliyun, Alibaba Group Holding Limited’s cloud computing arm, to provide direct access to Aliyun’s cloud platform via the Equinix Cloud Exchange in Hong Kong and Silicon Valley. The collaboration provides multinational, Chinese, and North American enterprises with dedicated and secure access to the full suite of Aliyun’s cloud services.
As multi-national enterprise customers look to expand their cloud-based applications across Asia, it is imperative they are able do so in a secure, direct manner, without compromising network and application performance. Together, Equinix and Aliyun will enable enterprises in Asia and North America to build public and hybrid cloud solutions using the cloud capabilities of Aliyun combined with the interconnection solutions from Equinix, in a direct, secure and high-performing manner.
Highlights / Key Facts
• Access to Aliyun’s cloud services will initially be available in Equinix’s International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in Hong Kong and Silicon Valley, with future expansion planned to additional IBX data centers across North America and Asia.
• In addition to the Aliyun cloud platform, Equinix will also offer direct access to additional cloud-based services from Aliyun, including SaaS-based applications.
• The cloud market in Asia Pacific is growing rapidly. In fact, according to Cisco’s Cloud Survey, by 2018, the region will generate the most cloud traffic (2.3 zettabytes annually), the equivalent to 38 percent CAGR (2013-17). By providing direct access to Aliyun’s suite of cloud services, Equinix and Aliyun will help speed cloud adoption in the Asia Pacific region and further fuel this growth.
• With more than 1.4 million customers directly and indirectly through ISVs, Aliyun is the largest public cloud service provider in China and operates the country’s largest content delivery network.
• With more than 100 data centers across 33 markets around the world, Equinix provides cloud service providers such as Aliyun with an ideal platform to scale their offerings around the world to support growing customer demand. The Equinix Cloud Exchange is currently available in 21 markets globally including Amsterdam, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Melbourne, New York, Osaka, Paris, Sao Paulo, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Washington, D.C., and Zurich.
Chris Sharp, vice president, cloud innovation, Equinix
“Our multi-national enterprise customers are increasingly asking for access to the Aliyun cloud platform, as they deploy cloud-based applications across Asia. By providing this access in two strategic markets, we’re empowering businesses to build secure, private clouds, without compromising network and application performance.”
Sicheng Yu, vice president, Aliyun
“Aliyun is very excited about our global partnership with Equinix, who not only has a global footprint of cutting-edge data centers, but has also brought together the most abundant cloud players and tenants in the cloud computing ecosystem on its Equinix Cloud Exchange platform. Connecting the Equinix ecosystem with our Aliyun cloud services on Cloud Exchange will provide customers with the best-of-breed choices and flexibility.”
Melanie Posey, research vice president, hosting & managed network services, IDC
“By offering connection to Aliyun’s cloud offerings on the Equinix Cloud Exchange, Equinix is empowering the enterprise to access Aliyun in a predictable, uncongested and cost-effective manner, something we hear enterprise customers repeatedly asking for. These dedicated connections will help companies realize the full benefits of the Aliyun cloud, including Alibaba’s global network of customers and application ecosystems, and expand into Asia quickly and securely.”
Equinix, Inc. (equinix.com) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 33 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.