ZOLL® Medical Corporation, a manufacturer of medical devices and related software solutions, announced today that it will display its portfolio of clinical resuscitation products including the LifeVest® Wearable Defibrillator, along with sudden cardiac death (SCD) education and screening tools, in Booth F30 at EuroPCR 2015 from 19-22 May in Paris.
The LifeVest will be discussed during a satellite symposium entitled “The PCI Was Successful, But Now What?” presented by Prof. Dr. Eric Eeckhout, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland; Prof. Dr. Michael Block, Clinic Augustinum, Munich, Germany; and a panel composed of Dr. Joern Schmitt, University Hospital, Giessen and Marburg, Germany; PD Dr. Martin Arnold, University Hospital, Erlangen, Germany, and Prof. Dr. Ernst Vester, Protestant Hospital, Düsseldorf, Germany, Wednesday, 20 May, 13:35-14:35, Room 352B.
The LifeVest protects patients at risk for SCD. It is used for a wide range of patient conditions or situations, including following a myocardial infarction, before or after coronary revascularization, and for those with cardiomyopathy or congestive heart failure that places them at particular risk. One in five post-acute myocardial infarction (AMI) patients have been shown to be at high risk of dying after percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI).1 The majority of mortality in AMI patients post-PCI occurs in the first three months one out of every 10 high-risk patients die, with about 60% of this mortality due to SCD.1,2 The LifeVest gives physicians time to optimize medical therapy and assess a patient’s long-term risk for sudden cardiac death.
The LifeVest is lightweight and easy to wear, allowing patients to return to their common activities of daily living, while having the peace of mind that they are protected from SCD. The LifeVest continuously monitors the patient’s heart and, if a life-threatening heart rhythm is detected, the device delivers a treatment shock to restore normal heart rhythm.
Additional products on display from ZOLL include:
• The AutoPulse® Resuscitation System provides consistent, high-quality CPR to victims of sudden cardiac arrest. Easy to use and battery operated, its load-distributing LifeBand® squeezes the patient’s entire chest to improve blood flow to the heart and brain. The only device of its kind, the AutoPulse automatically sizes to the patient, and has shown improved survival in numerous clinical trials.3,4
• ZOLL’s Thermogard XP® Temperature Management System offers health care providers the precision and control they need to rapidly, safely, and effectively manage the core body temperature of critically ill or surgical patients. The Thermogard XP delivers accurate, easy-to-use, and cost-effective control for both cooling and warming applications. This temperature management system provides a variety of catheter options depending upon the specific patient needs.
About ZOLL Medical Corporation
ZOLL Medical Corporation (zoll.com), an Asahi Kasei Group company, develops and markets medical devices and software solutions that help advance emergency care and save lives, while increasing clinical and operational efficiencies. With products for defibrillation and monitoring, circulation and CPR feedback, data management, fluid resuscitation, therapeutic temperature management, and ventilation, ZOLL provides a comprehensive set of technologies that help clinicians, EMS and fire professionals, and lay rescuers treat victims needing resuscitation and acute critical care.
About Asahi Kasei
The Asahi Kasei Group (asahi-kasei.co.jp) is a diversified group of companies led by holding company Asahi Kasei Corp., with operations in the chemicals and fibers, homes and construction materials, electronics, and health care business sectors. Its health care operations include devices and systems for acute critical care, dialysis, therapeutic apheresis, transfusion, and manufacture of biotherapeutics, as well as pharmaceuticals, diagnostic reagents, and nutritional products. With more than 29,000 employees around the world, the Asahi Kasei Group serves customers in more than 100 countries.
1. Halkin, A et al. Prediction of Mortality After Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for Acute Myocardial Infarction: CADILLAC Risk Score. JACC 2005;45:1397 1405.
2. Stone, G et al. Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Arrest Post PTCA in High-Risk Patients. theheart.org/article/1202823.do (April 2011).
3. Wesfall M, et al. Mechanical Vs. Manual Chest Compressions in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest: A Meta-Analysis. Crit Care Med. 2013 Jul;41(7):1782-9.
4. Wik L, et al. Manual vs. Integrated Automatic Load-distributing Band CPR with Equal Survival after Out- of- Hospital Cardiac Arrest. The Randomized CIRC Trial. Resuscitation 85 (2014) 741 748.
©2015 ZOLL Medical Corporation. All rights reserved. AutoPulse, LifeBand, LifeVest, Thermogard XP, and ZOLL are trademarks or registered trademarks of ZOLL Medical Corporation in the United States and other countries. Asahi Kasei is a registered trademark of Asahi Kasei Corporation. All product names are the property of their respective owners.