Belzona Research and Development Manager, Jevon Pugh said, “Following the success and popularity of Belzona SuperWrap over the course of seven years, our R&D team has been busy developing and redesigning numerous aspects of the technology to create a superior composite repair and protection system, Belzona SuperWrap II.”
Belzona SuperWrap II has achieved compliance with industry standards; ISO 24817 (Composite Repairs for Pipework) and ASME PCC-2 Article 4.1 (Nonmetallic Composite repair systems: high risk applications).
A Simple, Two-part Epoxy Resin System
Driven by SuperWrap’s success and popularity, the Belzona R&D Department conducted a rigorous series of independent and in-house tests to determine ways in which the system could be enhanced. These tests include Young’s modulus, Poisson’s Ratio, Shear Modulus, Thermal expansion, Glass Transition Temperature, Shore D Hardness and Lap Shear testing, 1000 hour survival tests for through wall and thin wall defects, physical testing to validate that the repair system strength meets the values generated by the independent laboratory testing. Following this careful and painstaking process, SuperWrap II was born.
The new wrap system comprises of two Belzona products; a cold curing fluid grade epoxy resin and a hybrid reinforcement sheet consisting of glass fibre and carbon fibres, which have been woven together to give an optimised balance of strength and flexibility.
In order to achieve a versatile product, SuperWrap II is now available with two different resin grades, Belzona 1981 and Belzona 1982. The main difference between these resin grades is the end service temperature and working life of the resin. Belzona 1981 has been developed for cool ambient temperatures above 5°C and has a maximum service temperature of up to 60°C, while Belzona 1982 has been designed for warm ambient temperatures above 20°C and has a maximum service temperature of up to 80°C.
Testing Performed- Wrap Outlasts Steel
During the Annex C test (ISO 24817) and Appendix III (ASME PCC-2 Article 4.1), a test designed to rebuild the damaged section of pipe back to its original yield strength, the repair withheld the calculated yield pressure of the substrate, whilst the original steel profile showed signs of yielding.
Quick and Easy Application Procedure
The fluid grade product and simple wet out procedure enables quick application times along with wet on wet application procedure.
1) First apply the selected resin grade product, Belzona 1981 or Belzona 1982, to the blasted substrate.
2) On to this, the Belzona 9381 reinforcement sheet, wetted with the selected low density resin (Belzona 1981 or Belzona 1982), is spiral wound onto the repair area, adding strength.
3) When all wraps have been applied to specification, further resin grade product is then applied on top of the reinforcement layers if required.
4) The repair is then consolidated by tightly wrapping the Belzona 9382 Release Film over the repair area, ensuring a high quality laminate, with no air entrapment or voids.
5) Because this system uses higher density carbon and glass reinforcement than most, typically only three or four spirals or wraps are required, significantly cutting application time when compared to other systems.
Theoretical and Practical Training
In addition to improving the material’s characteristics, Belzona has also perfected the theoretical and practical training courses to ensure Belzona SuperWrap II designers, installers and supervisors are fully trained and proficient in the use of the system.
Belzona SuperWrap II- The Complete Package
• Suitable for service temperatures 5°C to 80°C
• 24 hour back in service (48 hour back in service at <10°C)
• Long usable life in hot climates (30 minutes at 30°C)
• Convenient mixing ratio
• Easy to apply (minimal downtime, simple techniques, ease of wetting out)
• Thermal expansion coefficient close to steel
• High Young’s modulus
• Low Poisson's ratio
For further information on this application or to book an appointment with your local Belzona representative, please contact belzona[.]belzona.co.uk