SCHOTT Defense will exhibit its range of glass technologies and materials at the Association of the United States Army's (AUSA) Annual Meeting and Exposition in Washington, D.C. from Oct. 13 to 15, 2014 at booth #1309. The products on display will include RESISTAN® transparent armor windows, which are currently protecting the Armed Forces using the MRAP all-terrain vehicle (M-ATV) and also support the protection of next-generation tactical vehicles programs such as the Ground Mobility Vehicle (GMV) and Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV). In addition, SCHOTT will feature multispectral glasses that can help Soldiers maintain situational awareness while reducing the size, weight, and cost of imaging systems as well as other components critical to defense applications.
As defense leaders aim to reduce the logistical footprint of vehicles by trimming their size and weight, SCHOTT’s RESISTAN® transparent armor windows offer a lightweight and more versatile option to protect Soldiers from a range of threats. SCHOTT has taken a particular focus on designing the next generation of transparent armor windows that offer an extended life of service while reducing size and weight. SCHOTT’s transparent ceramic technology maintains high performance for better residual visibility, localized damage, and resistance to delamination, all at a lower cost compared to other systems.
“SCHOTT Defense sets the standard for military vehicle protection by offering the lightest and most durable transparent armor solutions,” said Major General (Ret.) Scott Custer, USAF, President and CEO of SCHOTT Defense. “This area of research and development is vital to protecting Soldiers on the ground while offering them continued situational awareness. As the U.S. Armed Forces evolve, SCHOTT Defense strives to develop materials and equipment that best serve our military as they serve our country.”
SCHOTT Defense will also display a number of other glass technologies at AUSA, including:
• Multispectral glass. New SCHOTT IRGX chalcogenide glass is available for use as lenses that transmit wavelengths from visible light through the long-wave infrared. IRGX glass can minimize size, weight, and power in multispectral defense imaging systems.
• CONTURAN® DARO. This component’s anti-reflective, oleophobic coating repels fingerprints and water, and resists chemical and mechanical wear on touch screens.
• Laser glass. When precision is needed, SCHOTT offers active and passive laser glasses for defense applications, such as laser range finding.
• Optical components. Windows, prisms, lenses, and other components can be used for visible, infrared, lighting, and laser applications.
• Infrared windows. SCHOTT IRC1 infrared zinc sulfide ceramic offers greater strength, increased transmission, and lower scatter than traditional zinc sulfide. SCHOTT IRC1 represents an incredible value with attractive mechanical and optical properties as protective windows for mid-wave and long-wave infrared systems, such as electro-optic turrets, sensors, and pods.
• Electronic packaging. Hermetic packaging, including hybrid packages, transistor outlines, thermal battery covers, and ordnance components, protect sensitive electronics from harsh conditions, and therefore minimize failure and replacement costs.
For more information on SCHOTT Defense technologies, please visit us.schott.com/defense or stop by booth #1309 at AUSA on October 13 to 15.
About SCHOTT Defense
SCHOTT Defense (schottdefense.com) is a subsidiary of SCHOTT North America, which has been supplying the U.S. Defense market with advanced technologies for over 40 years. The company’s product range, ready to serve the defense and security industries, includes fiber optics, optical and filter glasses, glass and glass-ceramic for armor and hermetic packages for protecting sensitive electronic components.
SCHOTT is an international technology group with 130 years of experience in the areas of specialty glass and materials and advanced technologies. SCHOTT ranks number one in the world with many of its products. Its core markets are the household appliance, pharmaceutical, electronics, optics and transportation industries. The company is strongly committed to contributing to its customers’ success and making SCHOTT an important part of people’s lives with high-quality products and intelligent solutions. SCHOTT is committed to managing its business in a sustainable manner and supporting its employees, society and the environment. The SCHOTT Group maintains close proximity to its customers with manufacturing and sales units in 35 countries. Its workforce of 15,400 employees generated worldwide sales of US$ 2.5 billion for the 2012/2013 fiscal year.
Press contact: Mike Lizun - Gregory FCA on behalf of SCHOTT
P: 610-642-1435 - E: mike[.]gregoryfca.com.