Organizations are looking for innovative ways to manage more data from more sources than ever before. Although technologies like Hadoop and NoSQL offer specific ways of addressing big data problems, they can introduce data silos that complicate the data access and analysis needed to generate critical insights. To maximize the value from information and deliver on the promise of big data, companies need to evolve their data management architecture into a big data management system that seamlessly integrates all types of data from a variety of sources, including Hadoop, relational, and NoSQL. While simplifying access to all data, a big data management system should also enable organizations to leverage existing skills and maintain enterprise-grade data security and governance for sensitive or regulated information.
To address organizations’ need for comprehensive big data solutions, Oracle today introduced Oracle Big Data SQL, an essential part of a big data management system. Breaking down data silos to simplify information access and discovery, the offering allows customers to run one SQL query across Hadoop, NoSQL, and Oracle Database, minimizing data movement while increasing performance and virtually eliminating data silos. Oracle Big Data SQL enables customers to gain a competitive advantage by making it easier to uncover insights faster, while protecting data security and enforcing governance. Furthermore, this approach enables organizations to leverage existing SQL investments in both people skills and applications.
• Today, Oracle introduced Oracle Big Data SQL, SQL-based software that seamlessly integrates data across Hadoop, NoSQL, and Oracle Database.
• Oracle Big Data SQL runs on Oracle Big Data Appliance and can work in conjunction with Oracle Exadata Database Machine.
• By connecting proven technologies and simplifying information access through industry-standard SQL, Oracle Big Data SQL enables organizations to look across all enterprise data and uncover insights faster, which can help to transform their business.
• With a unique architecture and Smart Scan technology inherited from Oracle Exadata, Oracle Big Data SQL can query all forms of structured and unstructured data while minimizing data movement, enabling dramatically faster analysis for data distributed across Hadoop, NoSQL, and Oracle Database.
• This approach also enables organizations to leverage existing SQL skills without investing in costly new talent and helps to maximize the potential of existing technology investments.
• With Oracle Big Data SQL, Oracle Database security capabilities, including an organization’s existing security policies, are now extended to Hadoop and NoSQL data.
• Oracle Big Data SQL is scheduled for general availability in Q3 of CY2014.
• Oracle’s big data solutions, now joined by Oracle Big Data SQL, enable customers to discover and predict faster, simplify access, and govern and secure big data.
• Join today’s webcast at 10:00 am. PT to learn more about Oracle Big Data SQL.
Discover and Predict Fast
• By leveraging SQL to query and analyze data across their entire range of data management systems, organizations no longer have to copy and move data between platforms, analyze with a MapReduce-powered language, or construct separate queries for each platform and then figure out how to connect the results.
• Smart Scan technology, inherited from Oracle Exadata, executes locally to intelligently find the data needed for a given query, minimizing data movement and increasing performance.
• Oracle Big Data SQL provides popular SQL-based business intelligence tools and applications with easier access to Hadoop and NoSQL data sources, outside of the traditional data warehouse, speeding discovery and operationalization of big data insights without changes to existing applications and tools.
• Bringing big data into the enterprise requires new technologies, languages, and skills. Oracle simplifies access to enterprise big data by combining relational and nonrelational technologies into a single architecture, harnessing SQL, the industry-standard language for accessing data.
• By extending SQL across the entire enterprise data ecosystem, organizations can use existing SQL skills to uncover and analyze all data.
• Integration with Oracle engineered systems for data management offers fast deployment and a low total cost of ownership for Hadoop, relational, and NoSQL data, and allows customers to secure data insights immediately.
Govern and Secure
• Oracle Big Data Appliance includes comprehensive data encryption capabilities for protecting data privacy and meeting regulatory requirements. With data at rest and network encryption capabilities, sensitive and regulated information stored on Oracle Big Data Appliance is protected against theft and unauthorized access. Oracle Big Data Appliance also includes enterprise-grade authentication (Kerberos), authorization (LDAP and Apache Sentry project), and auditing (Oracle Audit Vault and Database Firewall) that can be automatically set up on installation, greatly simplifying the process of hardening Hadoop.
• To further ensure organizations can realize the benefits of big data without compromising data governance, Oracle Big Data SQL extends the advanced security capabilities of Oracle Database to Hadoop and NoSQL data. With Oracle Big Data SQL, customers can take advantage of proven Oracle Database security solutions for data redaction, privilege analysis, and strong controls that limit privileged user access to data.
• With Oracle Big Data SQL, customers can now apply existing security policies to data in Hadoop and NoSQL, extending enterprise governance and security for sensitive and regulated data in the enterprise.
"As organizations increasingly use diverse data sources beyond relational databases, such as Hadoop and NoSQL, data is becoming more and more siloed hampering data analysis and insights and limiting the true potential of big data,” said Andrew Mendelsohn, executive vice president, Database Server Technologies, Oracle. “Oracle Big Data SQL harnesses the popular, proven SQL query language to break down these silos and finally bring big data into the mainstream of an enterprise. Oracle continues its leadership in database innovation with this simple yet powerful way for organizations to access all of their data, leverage existing investments and skills, and gain new value and insights that can transform their business.”
“Oracle Big Data Appliance is an excellent choice for customers looking to work with the full suite of Cloudera’s leading Hadoop-based technology. It’s more cost-effective and quicker to deploy than a DIY cluster,” said Mike Olson, Cloudera founder, chief strategy officer, and chairman of the board. “When it comes to querying data in Hadoop, we’ve seen overwhelming demand from customers for SQL. This is why Cloudera has developed Impala which Oracle includes on Oracle Big Data Appliance to enable customers to query data with SQL natively and efficiently in Hadoop. For customers who need to query and analyze data residing in both Hadoop and Oracle Database, Oracle Big Data SQL offers support for HDFS, preserves their existing SQL skills and security policies, and makes it easier to integrate Hadoop with their existing Oracle infrastructure.”
Oracle (oracle.com) engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Contact: Joan Touchstone, Blanc & Otus
P: +1 415-856-5110 - E: jtouchstone[.]blancandotus.com.