GE and Quirky, the company that makes invention accessible, announce the launch of Aros a truly brilliant app-enabled air conditioning unit that was invented by a real person just like you. Aros is Quirky’s first major connected appliance and the fifth product developed out of the Quirky+GE partnership, announced in April 2013. Aros is available starting today at Amazon.com.
Controlled by the WINK app, Aros gathers information based on users' habits, cost of energy, and budget to automatically maintain the perfect temperature and maximize savings for the home. Aros gets more brilliant over time, ensuring that the user never has to return to a too-hot or too-cold environment again.
“After receiving the submission for this invention, it was clear that this was a product that absolutely needed to exist, but a challenge that most companies would shy away from," said Quirky Founder and CEO Ben Kaufman. “With the support of GE’s technology expertise, scale, and supply chain, we were able to focus our efforts on leveraging our community's ideas into a beautifully designed product where every aspect of the product's interaction was attended to.”
Aros was the idea of Garthen Leslie of Columbia, Maryland, who spent years helping to cut costs and conserve resources at the Department of Energy. Leslie said that it was his own dysfunctional air conditioner that sparked the idea for Aros. “I was tired of choosing between wasting energy or suffering through the stuffy summer heat.” He dreamt of a smarter air conditioner, beautifully designed for the modern day, and submitted his idea to Quirky. Months later, with the help of over 2,000 community members and over 80 years of GE’s experience with AC units, Aros was born. Aros is available today for pre-order at Amazon and will be available at major US retailers in May.
"This is a great example of how by working together GE and Quirky can re-invent an entire category quickly and at scale," said Kevin Nolan, Vice President of Technology for GE Appliances. "Aros gives consumers a way to connect with new technology in easy-to-use, everyday ways, allowing people to remotely cool their living spaces and save money at the same time a true breakthrough”.
Aros Product Features:
• Smart Schedule - Learns your usage patterns to automatically build a schedule for you.
• Smart Away - Aros will power itself down when you have left your home, and will prepare your desired temperature before you return.
• Smart Budget - The smart budget will predict your future costs using your schedule, weather data, and past usage information. Enter a budget for the month, and users will get notifications when they are approaching their limit.
• Control From Anywhere - Can be powered and controlled from anywhere in the world through the WINK app.
• Power - 8,000 BTU in-window air conditioning can cool up to 350 sq. ft.
• Easy Installation - Easy to install and fits into almost any window, with sliding fabric extensions that keep cold air in and hot air out.
• Multi-Speed and Cooling - Multi-speed fan with three fan speeds and three cooling modes.
• Beautiful Design - Aros employs a unique upward airflow to increase circulation and an easy-to-clean flat front face with touch-capacitive buttons.
• Washable Filter - Includes a washable filter that is easy to remove and clean.
• MSRP - $300.00
GE & Quirky Partnership to Date
Since April, the partnership has fueled invention in the growing connected devices category and created a way to bring app-enabled products to market faster. GE and Quirky invited their shared communities to help invent and develop a full line of connected devices for the home in areas such as home monitoring, home health, security and appliances and lighting using advanced manufacturing tools and technologies. The first four WINK-enabled products Nimbus, Egg Minder, Pivot Power Genius and Spotter were released in November of last year. Aros is the first smart appliance in this category.
Quirky makes invention accessible by bringing real people’s product ideas to life. To take ideas from pipe dream to consumer product, an in-house team of designers and engineers collaborate with Quirky’s online community on nearly all aspects of development. Anyone can make their mark by submitting a problem-solving idea or weighing in on others. And when a product is sold, Quirky shares its revenue with every community member that had an impact. Founded by Ben Kaufman in 2009, Quirky’s products can be found at The Home Depot, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Amazon.com, and of course Quirky.com/.
GE (ge.com) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and helping to cure the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works.