PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, 2014/02/07 - SaskTel today announced it has completed another 10 different 4G and 4G LTE wireless network infrastructure enhancement projects across the province in January to address the ever-growing customer demand for network coverage and capacity - SaskTel.com.
“SaskTel has a long record in pursuing innovative and cutting edge solutions when it comes to expanding our 4G network across the Province,” said Don McMorris, Minister Responsible for SaskTel. “We are committed to building and powering the largest, fastest and most complete wireless network in the Province.”
SaskTel is using a variety of infrastructure options to enhance wireless service based on usage patterns and demands. In addition to traditional towers being constructed across the province, SaskTel is also increasing capacity and coverage by deploying other options when traditional towers are not feasible due to space or other limitations. These include installing carrier antennas to increase coverage strength inside of buildings, streetlights, rooftops, wooden and stealth poles, as well as installing new cellular sites such as towers or COWS (cellular on wheels) in various locations.
The communities that received 4G and 4G LTE network enhancements in January 2014, including the type of enhancement completed are as follows:
• Saskatoon: Installed and turned up into service a new monopole with 4G and 4G LTE coverage in the Marquis Industrial area on 3815 Arthur Rose Avenue which will increase coverage and capacity for 4G and 4G LTE.
• Kindersley: Added an additional carrier to the existing tower to increase 4G coverage and capacity.
• Pinehouse: Added an additional carrier to the existing tower to increase 4G coverage and capacity.
• Beaufield: Added an underlay to the existing tower to increase 4G coverage and capacity.
• Esterhazy: Added an additional 2 sectors for a total of 3 sectors at the existing tower to increase 4G coverage and capacity.
• Prince Albert: Added coverage into existing streetlights on 6th Avenue East and West Flat Street to increase 4G and 4G LTE coverage and capacity.
The addition of sectors and carriers increase network capacity by adding more radio frequency channels. Each additional carrier added to a site will increase the network capacity at that site by an incremental amount. Adding a second carrier approximately doubles network capacity. Going from two to three additional carriers increases network capacity by approximately 50 per cent above that and going from three to four additional carriers increases capacity by a further 33 per cent. Increasing sectors adds an antenna which further improves coverage and capacity.
The 4G network provides increased bandwidth with download speeds of up to 21 Mbps per second. With 4G LTE, customers will see data speeds approximately five times faster (approximately 100 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload) than the 4G network meaning customers can stream music, share pictures and videos, download apps and game faster than ever before.
Saskatchewan Telecommunications Holding Corporation (SaskTel.com) is the leading full service communications provider in Saskatchewan, with $1.2 billion in annual revenue and over 1.4 million customer connections including over 607,000 wireless accesses, 492,000 wireline network accesses, 250,000 internet accesses and 100,000 Max™ (TV) subscribers. SaskTel offers a wide range of communications products and services including competitive voice, data, internet, entertainment, security monitoring, messaging, cellular, wireless data and directory services. In addition, SaskTel International offers software solutions and project consulting in countries around the world. SaskTel and its wholly-owned subsidiaries have a workforce of approximately 4,000 full-time equivalent employees (FTEs).