ZOLL Medical Corporation, a manufacturer of medical devices and related software solutions, announced today that it will display its portfolio of clinical resuscitation products including the LifeVest® Wearable Defibrillator, AutoPulse® Non-Invasive Cardiac Support Pump, and Thermogard XP® Temperature Management System, along with sudden cardiac death (SCD) education and screening tools, in Booth F435 at the European Society of Cardiology Congress 2013, August 31 September 4 in Amsterdam.
The LifeVest will be discussed during the following scientific sessions:
• Steven J. Szymkiewicz, MD, ZOLL, will present,“Utility of Wearable Cardioverter Defibrillators in European Patients Early after Myocardial Infarction,” Sunday, September 1, Poster Session 2, 8:30 am.-12:30 pm., Poster #1318.
• Steven J. Szymkiewicz, MD, ZOLL, will present,“The Impact of Body Mass Index on Wearable Cardioverter Defibrillator Efficacy,” Tuesday, September 3, Poster Session 6, 8:30 am.-12:30 pm., Poster #4926.
A satellite symposium focused on the LifeVest entitled “Sudden Cardiac Death Research in Europe The VEST Trial and WEARIT-II Registry Design and Overview” will be presented by Martin Borggrefe, MD, PhD, University of Mannheim, and Ilan Goldenberg, MD, University of Rochester Medical Center, Monday, September 2, 1:00 pm.-1:45 pm., in the Ankara Room, Village 1.
ZOLL products will be discussed during presentations at the ZOLL booth (F435):
• Marleen van Wely, MD, UMS St. Radboud, will share experiences utilizing the AutoPulse Non-Invasive Cardiac Support Pump in the cath lab, Sunday, September 1 and Tuesday, September 3, 3:30 pm.-4:30 pm.
• Ard Struijs, MD, Erasmus MC, will share experiences utilizing the Thermogard XP Temperature Management System during PCI*, Monday, September 2 and Tuesday, September 3, 10:00 am.-11:00 am.
The LifeVest protects patients at risk for sudden cardiac death
Sudden cardiac death affects an estimated 400,000 individuals annually in Europe, causing more deaths than AIDS, lung and breast cancer, and stroke combined.i The LifeVest Wearable Cardioverter Defibrillator protects patients at risk for sudden cardiac death. It is used to protect a wide range of patients, including recent MI or following coronary revascularization. Following a PCI procedure, 1 in 5 patients have been shown to be at high risk of early mortality.ii In post-PCI patients with a low EF (≤35%), 3 month mortality is 13%iii, and increases significantly in the presence of other risk factorsiv. The LifeVest gives physicians time to optimize medical therapy and assess a patient’s long-term risk for sudden death.
The LifeVest is lightweight and easy to wear, allowing patients to return to their activities of daily living, while having the peace of mind that they are protected from sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). The LifeVest continuously monitors the patient’s heart and, if a life-threatening heart rhythm is detected, the device delivers a treatment shock to restore normal heart rhythm.
Additional products on display from ZOLL include:
• The AutoPulse Non-Invasive Cardiac Support Pump is an automated, portable chest compression device. It is the only mechanical CPR system to have shown improved human survival in comparative clinical trials. The AutoPulse more than tripled survival compared to typical CPR during witnessed shockable arrests.v
• The R Series® Code-Ready Defibrillators are designed to extend “Simple, Smart and Ready” defibrillation to every hospital department through advanced, cost-effective solutions for resuscitation. The original R Series ALS, and the R Series Plus, which has both AED and ALS capabilities at the touch of a button, offer See-Thru CPR®, a breakthrough technology that filters out CPR artifact from the ECG to reduce CPR interruptions. Like all ZOLL defibrillators, the R Series also features Real CPR Help® audio and visual feedback for the correct depth and rate of chest compressions.
• The X Series® Monitor/Defibrillator, weighing less than 12 pounds, is about half the size and half the weight of competitive full-featured monitor/defibrillators, yet powerful and built to the most rigorous standards for ruggedness. This monitor/defibrillator combines the clinically superior therapeutic capabilities of ZOLL defibrillation, pacing, and real-time CPR feedback with advanced monitoring parameters. The X Series features the most robust data communications available. With Wi-Fi, USB, and Blue Tooth transfer capability, the X Series can report easily to the ZOLL RescueNet® suite of products for seamless data management with EMS operations.
• Intravascular Temperature Management (IVTM™) technology offers health care providers the power and control they need to rapidly, safely, and effectively manage the core body temperature of critically ill or surgical patients. The Thermogard XP delivers accurate, easy-to-use and cost-effective control for both cooling and warming applications.
• The LIFEBRIDGE® System allows the cardiovascular system and critical organs to rest, heal, and recover by improving blood flow and oxygenation in an emergency setting**.
About ZOLL Medical Corporation
ZOLL Medical Corporation (zoll.com), an Asahi Kasei Group company, develops and markets medical devices and software solutions that help advance emergency care and save lives, while increasing clinical and operational efficiencies. With products for defibrillation and monitoring, circulation and CPR feedback, data management, fluid resuscitation, and therapeutic temperature management, ZOLL provides a comprehensive set of technologies that help clinicians, EMS and fire professionals, and lay rescuers treat victims needing resuscitation and critical care.
About Asahi Kasei
The Asahi Kasei Group (asahi-kasei.co.jp) is a diversified group of companies led by holding company Asahi Kasei Corp., with operations in the chemicals and fibers, homes and construction materials, electronics, and health care business sectors. Its health care operations include devices and systems for critical care, dialysis, therapeutic apheresis, transfusion, and manufacture of biotherapeutics, as well as pharmaceuticals, diagnostic reagents, and nutritional products. With more than 25,000 employees around the world, the Asahi Kasei Group serves customers in more than 100 countries.
Copyright © 2013 ZOLL Medical Corporation. All rights reserved. AutoPulse, Code-Ready, IVTM, LIFEBRIDGE, LifeVest, Real CPR Help, RescueNet, R Series, See-Thru CPR, Thermogard XP, X Series, and ZOLL are trademarks or registered trademarks of ZOLL Medical Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All product names are the property of their respective owners. Asahi Kasei is a registered trademark of Asahi Kasei Corporation. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Thermogard XP not clinically available for PCI use in the U.S.
**The LIFEBRIDGE system is CE-certified in Germany and not available in the U.S.
i Huikuri. Implantable cardioverter-deﬁbrillator therapy and the total burden of sudden cardiac death. Europace (2009) 11, 1574.
ii Halkin, A et al. Prediction of Mortality After Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for Acute Myocardial Infarction: CADILLAC Risk Score. JACC 2005;45:1397 1405.
iii Zishiri E, et al. Use of the Wearable Cardioverter Defibrillator and Survival After Coronary Artery Revascularization in Patients with Left Ventricular Dysfunction. Circulation 2011; 124:A9816.
iv Weintraub et al. Prediction of Long-Term Mortality After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Older Adults: Results From the National Cardiovascular Data Registry. Circulation 2012;125:1501 1510.
v Wik L, et al. The impact of CPR duration on survival to discharge between integrated AutoPulse-CPR and manual CPR during out-of-hospital cardiac arrest of presumed cardiac origin. Resuscitation. 2012;83:e17.