• Sonus and F5 Networks partner to deliver integrated solutions based on best-of-breed SIP and Diameter signaling management solutions;
• The partnership addresses needs of the growing numbers of operators who are deploying LTE and IMS networks and IPX carriers offering roaming across them;
• The solution, available now through Sonus, enables Service Providers to combine the Sonus 5000 series of Session Border Controllers (SBCs) with the F5® Traffix™ Signaling Delivery Controller™ (SDC™) to combine session and Diameter signaling control capabilities, allowing mobile operators to rapidly provide services and service entitlements to users as they roam across LTE and 3G networks;
• The joint Sonus/F5 solution simplifies Service Providers’ ability to deliver and monetize mobile Unified Communication (UC) and multi-media services accessed with smart mobile devices.
Sonus Networks, Inc., a global leader in SIP communications, today announced it has partnered with F5 Networks (NASDAQ: FFIV), the industry’s leader in Diameter signaling technology, to deliver integrated solutions designed to simplify the way Service Providers deliver differentiated mobile UC and multi-media experiences across blended network environments.
Operators are constructing 4G networks based on LTE and IMS technologies in support of the growing number of smartphones and devices that require ‘always on’ accessibility to mobile broadband and applications. The combination of capabilities from the Sonus SIP-based Session Border Controller (SBC) and the Diameter-based F5® Traffix™ Signaling Delivery Controller™ (SDC™) enables the delivery of these services in a scalable, billable, secure manner across networks. Service delivery and metering can now transcend network and operator boundaries, and go across network types such as LTE-to-3G. Additionally, operators are able to retain their existing 3G assets, while adding LTE and IMS elements to offer faster and better quality mobile broadband services.
The joint solution will enable growth for Service Providers through the deployment and maintenance of high performance LTE networks and while providing the seamless roaming required in the use of broadband mobile networks and smart devices:
• “Smartphone shipments are expected to grow 32.7% year over year in 2013 reaching 958.8 million units, up from 722.5 million units last year.” (Source: IDC press release, June 4, 2013)
• 72% of enterprises support tablets for business use “driven by the ubiquitous access and increased speeds of 3G and long-term evolution (LTE)/4G.” (Source: Nemertes Research Benchmark, The Business Case for Tablets, December 2012)
• LTE revenue was $2.7 billion in 1Q’13, an increase of 21% quarter-over-quarter and 108% year-over-year according to Infonetics Research. (Source: 2G, 3G, 4G Mobile Infrastructure & Subscribers Market Share & Forecasts, Infonetics, June 2013)
• In line with the deployment of mobile services such as VoLTE, Infonetics Research found that the top driver of growth in use of Service Providers SBCs is to locate them at the access edge of mobile networks. (Source: SBC Deployment Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey, Infonetics, October 2012)
“When combining the advanced, robust solutions of F5 Networks and Sonus, operators can remain confident in delivering LTE roaming and VoLTE services that will satisfy customers and generate revenue,” said Mallik Tatipamula, vice president of Service Provider Solutions, F5. “We view addressing the requirements to deliver these services as a natural blend of our two product areas. Looking forward we envision other innovative joint scenarios, such as supporting operators to benefit from offering premium OTT services with our SDC gateway to enable real-time billing and charging. Through our partnership with Sonus, customers will benefit from working with the experts in SBCs and Diameter signaling control.”
“The industry is becoming increasingly mobile and, behind the scenes, much is being accomplished to keep up with the demands of enterprises and consumers,” said Todd A. Abbott, executive vice president, Strategy & Go to Market, Sonus. “As a result of Sonus’ close collaboration with F5, the integration of our products will empower operators of 4G/LTE networks to scale their delivery of enhanced services required by always-connected users and to track service usage, independent of end user location or the network to which they are connected.”
“While it is early days for LTE and IMS, we are seeing strong positive growth and expect the trend to continue,” stated Diane Myers, principal analyst, VoIP, UC, and IMS, Infonetics Research. “The increased use of mobile broadband networks is driving the growth of Diameter signaling within and between operators.”
“The integration of F5’s Diameter-based products with the Sonus SBC portfolio is logical, as they perform complementary functions to enable flexible service delivery across multiple types of networks,” said Zeus Kerravala, founder and principal analyst of ZK Research. “And with complementary go to market models, I foresee a win for Sonus and F5 as they deliver simpler provisioning and reduced OpEx for their customers building out and interfacing to LTE networks.”
• Sonus recently announced strategic alliances with Juniper Networks and BroadSoft Inc. to address the needs of providers of next generation services
• Sonus is the fastest growing brand of session border controllers, growing five times faster than the industry average of SBC service provider vendors (source: Infonetics Research)
• Sonus is positioned in the Leaders quadrant of the Magic Quadrant for Session Border Controllers, published October 9, 2012 by Gartner, Inc.
• Sonus has the broadest portfolio of Microsoft Lync qualified SBCs and Sonus solutions have been performance verified by Miercom Labs
Sonus, SONS, Session Border Controller, SBC, SBC 5000, SBC 5110, SBC 5210, SIP, SIP trunking, IP, IPsec, media transcoding, Enterprise SBC, Unified Communications, UC, Cloud, cloud-based services, VoIP communications, enterprise communications, Session Initiation Protocol, SIP-based solutions, VoIP, service provider, F5, F5 Networks, Diameter, mobile services, service creation, multi-media, LTE, roaming, signaling, IMS, 3G
About Sonus Networks
Sonus (sonus.net) helps the world's leading communications service providers and enterprises embrace the next generation of SIP-based solutions including VoIP, video and Unified Communications through secure, reliable and scalable IP networks. With customers around the globe and 15 years of experience transforming networks to IP, Sonus has enabled service providers and enterprises to capture and retain users and generate significant ROI. Sonus products include session border controllers, policy/routing servers, subscriber feature servers and media and signaling gateways. Sonus products are supported by a global services team with experience in design, deployment and maintenance of some of the world's largest and most complex IP networks.
Important Information Regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
The information in this release may contain certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 regarding future events that involve risks and uncertainties. Although Sonus believes that its expectations are based on reasonable assumptions, readers are cautioned that these forward-looking statements are only predictions and are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict. All statements other than statements of historical facts contained in this report are forward-looking statements. Our actual results may differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements. For further information regarding risks and uncertainties associated with Sonus’ business, please refer to the “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” and “Risk Factors” sections of Sonus’ filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Any forward-looking statements represent Sonus' views only as of the date on which such statement is made, and should not be relied upon as representing Sonus' views as of any subsequent date. While Sonus may elect to update forward-looking statements at some point, Sonus specifically disclaims any obligation to do so, except as required by law.
F5, Traffix, Signaling Delivery Controller, and SDC are trademarks or service marks of F5 Networks, Inc., in the U.S. and other countries. All other product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners. The use of the words “partner,” “partnership,” or “joint” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between F5 Networks and any other company.
For More Information:
Anastasia Efstratios - Lois Paul & Partners
P: 617-986-5873 - E: anastasia_efstratios[.]lpp.com.