Aras®, the leading enterprise open source Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software solution provider, today announced a new release of the Microsoft® Office Connector for Aras Innovator®. With the Office connector for Aras, global organizations can manage documents, spreadsheets and emails in the Aras PLM suite without leaving Microsoft Office applications. The Office connector for Aras improves personal productivity while driving standardization and consistency for compliance throughout the enterprise.
See a live Demonstration of the Aras Office Connector
Thursday, January 24th, 2013 2:00pm Eastern
The Office Connector for Aras extends the PLM benefits of Aras to users in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. Users can create, store, edit, search and manage documents while working within the familiar, easy to use Microsoft environment. At the same time, the Office Connector for Aras provides administrators with sophisticated capabilities for document control and security, including need-to-know access, configurable automatic document numbering & naming conventions, the optional use of corporate templates, and more.
“Our Office connector is really designed to be simple for everyday users while providing powerful administration capabilities for the most complex global PLM environments,” said Peter Schroer, President of Aras. “Now, thousands of users across the enterprise can seamlessly work with PLM information from inside Microsoft Office while the controls and security required in military, medical devices, aerospace and other highly regulated industries are maintained.”
Aras Office Connector Features
Fully configurable to support your company’s corporate standards, practices and procedures, Aras Office Connector features include:
- Search - Search files and templates in PLM from within the Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- View & Edit Simply select View for read-only access or Edit to lock and modify a file
- Automated PDFs - Auto generate PDFs of saved files to attach and distribute to other users in the workflow
- Classification - Automated file naming and document number sequencing based on classification categories
- Linking - Option to create relationships between Microsoft documents and Aras items such as Parts, Drawings, Projects, Process Plans, and other PLM items from within Microsoft Office. Relationships can drive naming and numbering, and are updated along with associated product components.
- Revision & Version Control - Configurable revision and version control on Microsoft files provides traceability and assures that users always work with the correct version of a file
- Side-by-Side Comparisons - Enables users to easily view side-by-side comparisons of different revisions of the same document or file
- Enterprise Change Management - Apply lifecycle states, approval workflows and sign-offs to documents such as engineering change requests or document change orders
- Templates - Create standardized Office document templates that comply with corporate conventions and are ready-to-use for end users
- Property Mapping - Map properties from native Microsoft files to Aras or from Aras to the native Microsoft files
- Outlook Emails - Capture and store Outlook emails with embedded images and attachments as part of the product record in Aras
- Compliance - Document controls, tracking, traceability and audit trails streamline and simplify compliance
- Security Need-to-know access rights and permissions on files managed from within Aras
Learn more and see a live demonstration on the Microsoft Office Connector for Aras webcast on Thursday, January 24, 2013.
Aras (aras.com) is the leading provider of enterprise open source Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software solutions. Freedom from licensing eliminates up-front expenses and per user costs while superior technology makes Aras the most advanced enterprise PLM solution suite available. Customers include Motorola, Freudenberg, GE, Hitachi, Lockheed Martin, Textron and TEVA Pharmaceuticals. Aras is privately held with global headquarters in Andover, Mass.
Product and service names mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.