PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
London, United Kingdom, 2012/07/13 - Poor British weather is having a reverse effect on the UK sun care market, with volume and value of sales suffering the most - CompaniesAndMarkets.com.
The UK sun care market reached a total market value of £291 million in 2011, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 1% from 2010.
Due to the poor British weather and reduced holiday travel plans as a result of the current economic climate, 2011 value growth in the sun care market was somewhat limited.
Segment wise, aftersun, self-tanning and sun protection all registered a CAGR of 1% in 2011. However, although total sun care volume registered a 2% decline, self-tanning registered volume growth of 3%. This was largely due to consumers choosing self-tanning products over sun bathing, and also due to poor weather conditions and fewer holidays during 2011.
2011 saw L’Oréal (UK) Ltd continue to dominate the UK sun care market, with a 25% value share. Garnier Ambre Solaire was the largest brand, accounting for 23% of overall category value in 2011.
Consumers are increasingly turning to products that offer multiple rather than single beauty benefits, such as products with extra antioxidants, moisturising and nourishment. For example, Procter & Gamble UK Ltd’s Olay Regenerist flawless skin cream, launched in early 2011, is claimed by the company not only to provide sun protection but also to acts as an anti-ageing moisturiser.
The UK sun care market is forecast to register a -0.4% constant value CAGR through to 2016. Market growth is set to be driven by the increasingly popular and growing range of premium sun care on offer, but in volume terms these products are not expected to grow greatly.
All segments across the UK sun care market are expected to show negative performances over the forecast period due to continued poor summer forecast. As a result, companies are undertaking research for releasing sun care products with additional benefits.