The report focuses on the Company’s shared-value approach to sustainability, which focuses on the relationship among strong economic performance, social responsibility and respect for the environment.
"We are pleased to report on BD’s progress in achieving our sustainability goals, as well as how we are addressing the many challenges we face in the global business environment," said Vincent A. Forlenza, Chief Executive Officer and President. "We are broadening and redefining our approach to products, markets, services, productivity and even associate engagement, to drive higher shared value as well as higher shareholder value.”
This year, BD’s reporting aligns more closely with version 3.1 of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines, and the Company has self-assessed the new report at GRI application level B. BD’s 2011 Sustainability Report highlights strategic priorities and performance in areas including:
• Governance and Ethics: BD remains committed to ethical operations and compliance with laws and regulations. In 2011, the Company updated its Code of Conduct and initiated Project Compass, the rollout of its enhanced global anti-corruption and anti-bribery program.
• Product Responsibility: BD addresses social and environmental concerns in areas including product quality, patient and healthcare worker safety, and product stewardship from development to disposal. In 2011, the Company added a sustainability assessment to its Global Product Development System, inaugurated Procurement Sustainability Summits for suppliers, and became a member of the Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Business Leadership Coalition, which is part of the Practice Greenhealth Greening the Supply Chain™initiative.
• The Environment: BD continued to make progress toward meeting its 2015 Sustainability Targets, including reducing energy consumption 3.2% absolute and 13.2% normalized (against a goal of reducing 30% normalized by 2015) and reducing greenhouse gas emissions 21.6% absolute through a combination of energy conservation and purchase of renewable energy credits. Additionally, three BD locations received LEED Gold certification in 2011.
• Society: BD deploys its core competencies, expertise, products and associates in an effort to improve global health standards and access to health for all. The Company develops and implements collaborative, cross-sector programs with governments, international agencies, nonprofit organizations and research institutions, focusing on areas that align societal needs with BD’s business strategy.
• Associates: The success of BD's business depends on the creativity, innovation and commitment of the 29,000 people it employs in more than 50 countries around the world. The report highlightsBD’s focus on health and safety in the workplace, providing learning and development opportunities, building a diverse workforce and creating an inclusive culture.
The new report also highlights the many awards and recognitions that BD received in 2011 in the areas of sustainability, innovation, employer of choice, and environment, health and safety, including:
• Dow Jones Sustainability World and North America Indexes
• 2011 Green Rankings Top 100 (Newsweek)
• "World's Most Ethical Companies"(Ethisphere Council)
• U.S. EPA Green Power Partnership Member – 2011 Leadership Club
• CEO Cancer Gold Standard™ Accreditation
• Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles (U.S. National Business Group on Health).
To view the full BD 2011 Sustainability Report online, visit bd.com/sustainability.
BD (bd.com), a leading global medical technology company that manufactures and sells medical devices, instrument systems and reagents, is dedicated to improving people’s health throughout the world. BD is focused on improving drug therapy, enhancing the quality and speed of diagnosing infectious diseases, and advancing research and discovery of new drugs and vaccines. The Company’s capabilities are instrumental in combating many of the world’s most pressing diseases. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, BD employs approximately 29,000 associates in more than 50 countries throughout the world. The Company serves healthcare institutions, life science researchers, clinical laboratories, industry and the general public.
Monique N. Dolecki, Investor Relations
P: (201) 847-5378 - E: monique_dolecki[.]bd.com.