PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, 2012/04/04 - 4G improvements in Regina, Saskatoon, Estevan and 3 other locations - SaskTel.com.
SaskTel has expanded its 4G wireless network to 3 more locations across the province of Saskatchewan. SaskTel has also upgraded existing coverage and capacity in Regina, Saskatoon, Estevan and 3 other locations.
“Our 4G wireless network delivers increased bandwidth, greater international roaming and a wider selection of wireless devices,” said Ron Styles, SaskTel President and CEO. “4G will enable SaskTel to make a smooth transition to future generations of wireless technology.”
One of the new locations, Carry The Kettle First Nation, was completed as part of the previously announced First Nations Program, which will provide high speed internet and 4G wireless service to 28 Saskatchewan First Nations by the end of 2012. The project is jointly funded by the Government of Canada and SaskTel.
The other new tower locations, along with 4G coverage details, are:
• Englefeld: provides improved coverage along highway 5 between Humboldt and Watson.
• Plato: provides coverage to the community of Plato and the surrounding area including highway 44 east of Eston.
SaskTel has also upgraded existing 4G coverage and capacity in 6 communities:
• Regina: improved coverage to commercial buildings along highway 1 east of Regina.
• Saskatoon: improved in-building coverage at TCU Place.
• Estevan: additional carrier providing increased capacity within Estevan and the immediate surrounding area.
• Humboldt: additional carrier providing increased capacity in the Humboldt area.
• Montmartre: new larger tower providing improved coverage and capacity than the existing 4G tower in the Montmartre area.
• Warmley: new larger tower providing increased capacity in the area northeast of Stoughton.
The 4G network provides increased bandwidth with download speeds approximately 4 times faster than existing speeds (up to 21 megabits per second). It is also compatible with more than 80% of all networks around the world. SaskTel plans to support the existing CDMA digital network for the foreseeable future to ensure that all wireless customers continue to enjoy a full selection of wireless services that best suit their needs.
Saskatchewan Telecommunications Holding Corporation (SaskTel.com) is the leading full service communications provider in Saskatchewan, with $1.1 billion in annual revenue and over 1.4 million customer connections including over 568,000 wireless accesses, 528,000 wireline network accesses, 230,000 internet accesses and 85,000 Max™ (TV) subscribers. SaskTel offers a wide range of communications products and services including competitive voice, data, internet, entertainment, national security, messaging, cellular, wireless data and directory services. In addition, SaskTel International offers software solutions and project consulting in countries around the world. SaskTel and its wholly-owned subsidiaries have a workforce of approximately 4,100 employees.