PRZOOM - /newswire/ -
Cork, Ireland, 2012/03/16 - This BlueTech® Webinar will bring together industry experts to share their perspectives on the current status and outlook of UV-C LEDs and related products. The Event will be held on March 29th, 12.00 - 13:30 PM EST; 5.00 PM - 6:30 PM BST.
UV disinfection technologies are one of the top 5 fastest growing water treatment technologies. The current mercury-based UV lamps used in water disinfection and oxidation have been around for more than 100 years and serve a US$700m drinking and wastewater UV disinfection market. The market is dominated by cost-competitive, low and medium pressure mercury discharge UV lamps, however new UV LEDs are starting to impact the market.
Solid-state UV-C LEDs use a fundamentally different way to generate UV-C light and are anticipated to become highly disruptive to the UV disinfection market within the next 5 to 10 years. While UV-C LEDs cannot currently compete in terms of price and performance, they have advantages over mercury-based UV lamps such as being mercury-free, the ability to instantly reach 100% intensity when turned on, and their lifetime is not dependent on the number of on-off cycles. Furthermore, it can be expected that the technology will see remarkable improvements and cost reductions (based on predecessor technologies like blue LEDs) within the next couple of years.
This BlueTech® Webinar (bluetechresearch.com) will bring together industry experts from a major mercury-based UV provider, UV-C LED start-ups, a well-established LED manufacturer, and a University Research program to share their perspectives on the current status and outlook of UV-C LEDs and related products. The industry experts will present for 50 minutes followed by a 40min question and answer session where the audience will have the opportunity to interact directly with the panel. Topics that will be covered include an overview of:
• What is the Current status of UV-C LED technology?
• How big is the UV-C LED market potential, now and in the future?
• Where are the market applications that make sense now and in future?
• Who are in a position to capitalize on these market opportunities?
• Where are UV LEDs in the cost curve and when are they anticipated to be cost effective with traditional UV sources?
• What are the anticipated impacts that UV-C LEDs are likely to have on the UV market in the next 5-10 years?
• What is the blue-sky research on UV LED technology now?
This webinar is part of the BlueTech® Webinar series and is co-hosted by the International UV Association (IUVA).
Andreas Kolch, Ph.D, General Manager and Partner, HYTECON GMBH, and Partner, O2 Environmental Technology Assessment Group (TAG)
• Dr. Scott Alpert, Hazen & Sawyer
• Dr. Therese Jordan, SVP, Business Development, Crystal IS
• Oliver Lawal, President, Aquionics
• Jennifer Pagan Ph.D. E.E., Director of Research, Dot Metrics Technologies
• Johannes Glaab, GaN-Optoelectronics - UV-LEDs Group, Ferdinand-Braun-Institut, Leibniz-Institut for High Frequency Technology, Berlin.