• Acquisition strengthens Trustwave’s cloud and managed security services;
• Products and advanced anti-malware technology prevent targeted, Web-based security threats;
• Trustwave enters multi-billion dollar Web security market.
Trustwave, a leading provider of cloud-based compliance and information security solutions, today announced it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire M86 Security, a global leader in Web security solutions and advanced anti-malware technology. The acquisition is expected to close within the next few weeks, and financial terms were not disclosed.
“By acquiring M86 Security, Trustwave is adding Web security to one of the industry’s most comprehensive security product portfolios – including our compliance, application, network and data security solutions,” Robert J. McCullen, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President, Trustwave. “Customers and partners will benefit from our simplified approach to delivering advanced anti-malware technology through the cloud and our managed services.”
With the acquisition, Trustwave aims to protect its customers from the more than 90 percent of all malware that is delivered through the Web. Even “good” websites, including social networks and news sites, can serve up malware designed to compromise users’ computers and steal data: a staggering 80-85 percent of all infected websites are legitimate ones. Additionally, the majority of email threats now come from links to malicious websites rather than through attachments. Combating these threats requires the right products, anti-malware technology and threat intelligence – all areas that will be augmented by Trustwave’s acquisition of M86 Security.
With the acquisition of M86 Security, Trustwave is gaining:
• Web and email security products – With the acquisition, Trustwave gains M86 Secure Web Gateway, M86 WebMarshal and M86 Web Filtering and Reporting Suite products. Trustwave also enhances its position in email security with the addition of M86 MailMarshal. In 2011 Gartner, Inc. positioned M86 Security as Visionary in both the Magic Quadrant for Secure Web Gateways and the Magic Quadrant for Secure Email Gateways.
• Advanced malware detection technology – Trustwave also gains advanced anti-malware technologies, including a new cloud-based technology that M86 Security is developing to protect organizations from targeted attacks in emails. Trustwave plans to add these technologies to its existing products, including its cloud-based TrustKeeper portal.
• Broader threat intelligence and security research – M86 Security Labs will become part of Trustwave SpiderLabs, the advanced security team within Trustwave focused on penetration testing, incident response, application security and security research. The M86 Security Labs team is a global team of specialized security experts and researchers who provide proactive updates to M86 Security products, enabling customers to detect and defend against new and emerging exploits and malware threats.
• New Managed Secure Web Gateway based on Trustwave Managed Security Services -- Trustwave will add the M86 Secure Web Gateway to the broad portfolio of Trustwave Managed Security Services. The company also plans to integrate M86 Security products into Trustwave’s cloud-based TrustKeeper portal.
• Customers and channel partners – Trustwave gains M86 Security’s more than 25,000 customers with 26 million users in more than 96 countries. M86 Security’s strong channel and service provider partners also complement Trustwave’s existing robust partner network, and Trustwave plans to adopt and expand M86 Security’s award-winning partner program, Partner Focus. The acquisition also bolsters Trustwave’s international presence particularly in the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) and Asia Pacific regions.
“Trustwave has a tremendously successful track record of not only finding, acquiring and integrating security companies but also continuing to innovate their products and technologies,” said John Vigouroux, Chief Executive Officer, M86 Security. “Customers and partners have a lot to look forward to as the combination of Trustwave and M86 Security gives them access to a broader, unified security portfolio powered by the industry’s most advanced threat technology intelligence.”
M86 Security is a privately-held company headquartered in Irvine, Calif. with approximately 300 employees worldwide.
Trustwave (trustwave.com) is a leading provider of compliance, application, network and data security solutions delivered through the cloud, managed security services, software and appliances. For organizations faced with today's challenging data security and compliance environment, Trustwave provides a unique approach with comprehensive solutions that include its TrustKeeper® portal and other proprietary security solutions. Trustwave has helped hundreds of thousands of organizations--ranging from Fortune 500 businesses and large financial institutions to small and medium-sized retailers--manage compliance and secure their network infrastructures, data communications and critical information assets. Trustwave is headquartered in Chicago with offices worldwide.