Unveils Industry-Leading Customers Choosing Rovi to Deliver Feature-Rich Mobile Entertainment Services
Rovi Corporation (NASDAQ: ROVI) will be demonstrating its latest solutions designed to enable mobile device manufacturers, operators, retailers and content owners to dramatically enhance the mobile discovery, delivery, and enjoyment of digital entertainment. Focused on enriching mobile platforms, making applications smarter, and enabling its customers to drive customer satisfaction and new revenue streams, Rovi will highlight a number of its technologies and services including: DivX Plus Streaming™, Rovi Entertainment Store, and Rovi Cloud Services. Rovi is exhibiting at Mobile World Congress, February 27 to March 1, 2012 (Stand: The Avenue - AV90).
Rovi delivers a comprehensive and secure end-to-end mobile video delivery solution, from entertainment discovery to purchase and playback of content in both connected and offline environments. Enabling higher quality content delivery and playback across a multi-screen environment, Rovi advances its customers’ ability to deliver compelling over-the-top (OTT) mobile video services that can drive average-revenue-per-user rates across mobile platforms. Rovi powers these capabilities with:
• Rovi Entertainment Store, powered by Rovi Cloud Services: Now powering over a dozen storefronts, the Rovi Entertainment Store is an end-to-end, white-label solution for entertainment storefront creation and management that enables retailers, service providers, consumer electronics (CE) and mobile device manufacturers, and content owners to launch OTT storefronts. Resulting services empower consumers to discover, purchase, manage, and enjoy a broad range of new movies and TV shows on multiple platforms and devices. At Mobile World Congress, Rovi will announce new retail and device customers for Rovi Entertainment Store.
• DivX Plus Streaming: Built upon core DivX technologies recognized for delivering great video performance, visual quality, and multi-screen interoperability, DivX Plus Streaming is Rovi’s adaptive streaming solution to enable the secure digital delivery of a Blu-ray Disc-like entertainment experience. The format is designed to improve consumers’ experience with over-the-top entertainment by supporting smooth and stutter-free playback, and rich multimedia features including multiple audio tracks, subtitles and trick-play functions such as smooth fast forward and rewind. Available directly to retailers and device manufacturers, DivX Plus Streaming is also being integrated by SoC (System-on-a-Chip) manufacturers to enhance their platforms, which will also help accelerate support for the format across a range of mobile devices.
• DivX Plus® HD Certification Program: DivX is a universal video format for playback across multiple platforms and devices. Certified DivX Plus HD devices are rigorously tested to play back both personal and protected premium video content in the DivX (.divx and .avi) and DivX Plus HD (.mkv) formats, offering stunning visual quality with video resolutions up to 1080p. Certified devices contain digital rights management technology to enable the secure playback of premium content in these formats via optical disc, USB drive, or streamed over a home network using DLNA, helping consumers easily access and enjoy the wide range of internet and Hollywood video entertainment available across an extensive, multi-manufacturer device ecosystem. Rovi will announce a leading manufacturer launching a new DivX Plus HD Certified® tablet adding to the over 80 million DivX Certified mobile devices that have shipped to date.
• Rovi Cloud Services: Rovi Cloud Services (RCS) is a suite of entertainment-focused web services designed to enable the rapid development of innovative new products and applications for the connected consumer. These services, which include real-time access to Rovi data, search, and recommendations, make it possible for customers to more easily distinguish their offerings with sophisticated capabilities that enhance the connected entertainment experience. RCS power leading mobile entertainment apps across a range of mobile platforms including iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows, and Symbian.
• Rovi Data: Rovi has an extensive global catalog of multimedia content including more than 3.8 million television programs, over 500,000 movies, and more than 3 million music albums and 29 million music tracks. While enabling an engaging mobile entertainment experience, this content also encourages continuous discovery that can increase consumption and sales. With Rovi’s metadata, mobile app developers can create rich entertainment applications and device manufacturers can differentiate their products by creating visually robust, interactive experiences.
“We have developed a comprehensive and complementary technology portfolio for mobile that is enabling our customers to create differentiated products and services that delight consumers, and create new revenue opportunities,” said Matt Milne, executive vice president, worldwide sales and marketing, Rovi Corporation. “For each stage of the mobile ecosystem, Rovi can provide a solution that helps fuel innovation and a more dynamic, compelling digital entertainment experience.”
About Rovi Corporation
Rovi Corporation (rovicorp.com) is focused on revolutionizing the digital entertainment landscape by delivering solutions that enable consumers to intuitively connect to new entertainment from many sources and locations. The company also provides extensive entertainment discovery solutions for television, movies, music and photos to its customers in the consumer electronics, cable and satellite, entertainment and online distribution markets. These solutions, complemented by industry leading entertainment data, create the connections between people and technology, and enable them to discover and manage entertainment in an enjoyable form.
Rovi holds approximately 5,100 issued or pending patents worldwide and is headquartered in Santa Clara, California, with numerous offices across the United States and around the world including Japan, China, Luxembourg, and the United Kingdom.
Forward Looking Statements
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words "will" or "is expected to," or similar words that describe the Company's or its management's future plans, objectives, or goals, are "forward-looking statements" and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of the Company to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in the Company's most recent report on Form 10-Q for the period ended September 30, 2011 and such other documents as are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time (available at sec.gov/). The Company assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law.