Infosys Limited has been awarded the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) India 'Platinum' rating by Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) for its Software Development Block 5 (SDB 5) in Mysore, India. This is the third Infosys building that has won a Platinum rating, taking the total Platinum certified building area at Infosys to 780,000 sq ft. LEED-India Green Building Rating System is a nationally and internationally accepted benchmark for design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
Completed in March, 2011, the building is located in the Infosys Limited Special Economic Zone, Mysore. SDB 5 has been built keeping in mind a holistic approach to sustainability in five key areas, including - Sustainable site development, Water savings, Energy efficiency, Materials selection and Indoor environmental quality.
Key features of this Platinum rated building include:
• Water Efficiency: There has been a 58% reduction in overall water consumption in the building through the use of efficient plumbing fixtures, plus only recycled water is used for irrigation.
• Energy Efficiency: The building is 40% more efficient than the globally accepted ASHRAE standard and has the potential to save about 800,000 kgs of carbon emissions. This has been achieved through an efficient building envelope, which includes insulated walls and roof, along with spectrally selective double glazed windows which are appropriately shaded. Adding to that is the use of efficient equipment and smart automation leading to a 40% reduction in energy costs.
• Lighting: 90% of this office space harvests natural light, reducing the need for artificial lighting during daytime. The design includes light shelves along all windows to ensure that the natural light travels as deep into the building as possible. This lighting design is 35% more efficient than ASHRAE standards. The contrasting brightness within the building has also been reduced by using light color surfaces and ceilings, thus reducing the strain on pupils, and as a result, employees are less tired.
• Green Power: 100% energy consumption of this building is met with green power.
• Efficient Material Selection and Management: For this project, Infosys has diverted construction waste from landfills. 10% of the total construction material used was recycled material including aluminum, glass and steel. 41% of the total project material by cost was manufactured regionally, thereby reducing pollution due to transportation.
Commenting on the certification, Mr. Ramadas Kamath, SVP - Administration, Infrastructure & Security at Infosys Limited said,"As we invest in our business and deliver value to our clients and employees, we are also focused on providing a sustainable environment for our employees and generations to come. We have achieved LEED Platinum certification for the SDB 5 in our Mysore campus based on an integrated green design and construction process. With each new LEED-certified building, we get one step closer to our vision of a sustainable future. We hope that our work in terms of innovative, forward-thinking construction projects becomes a model and catalyst for companies to pursue such projects in the future."
About Green Initiatives
Over the past four years, Infosys has taken great strides towards becoming a sustainable organization and has committed to being carbon neutral by 2017. From 2008 to 2011, Infosys has reduced its per capita energy consumption by 23% and its per capita water consumption by 8% across its operations. We now have some of the world's most optimized buildings on our campuses, and are purchasing over 30 million units of green power this year. In addition, in the past three years we've planted over 80,000 trees across our campuses. Infosys was rated the eighth greenest company in the world by Newsweek Magazine. We are in the process of applying for more than 4 million sq. ft. of LEED/GRIHA certifications as we continue on our journey to be leaders in sustainability.
Many of the world's most successful organizations rely on the 145,000 people of Infosys to deliver measurable business value. Infosys (infosys.com) provides business consulting, technology, engineering and outsourcing services to help clients in over 30 countries build tomorrow's enterprise.
Certain statements in this release concerning our future growth prospects are forward-looking statements, which involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in such forward-looking statements. The risks and uncertainties relating to these statements include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties regarding fluctuations in earnings, fluctuations in foreign exchange rates, our ability to manage growth, intense competition in IT services including those factors which may affect our cost advantage, wage increases in India, our ability to attract and retain highly skilled professionals, time and cost overruns on fixed-price, fixed-time frame contracts, client concentration, restrictions on immigration, industry segment concentration, our ability to manage our international operations, reduced demand for technology in our key focus areas, disruptions in telecommunication networks or system failures, our ability to successfully complete and integrate potential acquisitions, liability for damages on our service contracts, the success of the companies in which Infosys has made strategic investments, withdrawal or expiration of governmental fiscal incentives, political instability and regional conflicts, legal restrictions on raising capital or acquiring companies outside India, and unauthorized use of our intellectual property and general economic conditions affecting our industry. Additional risks that could affect our future operating results are more fully described in our United States Securities and Exchange Commission filings including our Annual Report on Form 20-F for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2011 and on Form 6-K for the quarter ended June 30, 2011, September 30, 2011 and December 31, 2011.These filings are available at sec.gov. Infosys may, from time to time, make additional written and oral forward-looking statements, including statements contained in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission and our reports to shareholders. The company does not undertake to update any forward-looking statements that may be made from time to time by or on behalf of the company.