Increasing worker mobility, proliferation of new devices in the workplace, the spread of bring-your-own-device (BYOD) and more flexible work styles leave IT professionals seeking a low cost, flexible and efficient solution to deliver and manage a Windows workspace. New technologies in Quest® vWorkspace 7.5 significantly reduce the cost of desktop virtualization, especially for organizations using Microsoft Hyper-V, making it a leader in low cost, high density desktop virtualization.
Tweet This: Breakthrough @vWorkspace
• vWorkspace 7.5 delivers leading solution in low cost desktop virtualization via breakthrough, patent-pending scalability enhancements, direct Hyper-V integration, lightning fast provisioning, and advanced desktop virtualization load balancing.
o Introduces direct support for Microsoft Hyper-V, including FREE Microsoft Hyper-V Server;
o Deep integration with Microsoft Hyper-V in vWorkspace 7.5 provides complete virtual desktop lifecycle management for every aspect of the virtual desktop environment from creating, deleting, adding and updating, to changing memory configuration;
o Hyper-V Catalyst Components take Hyper-V performance and scalability to the next level by leveraging patent-pending technologies such as HyperCache and HyperDeploy to enable IOPS (I/O operations per second) reduction of up to 99 percent, right out of the box, while enabling instantaneous provisioning of virtual desktops and RD Session Hosts (formerly Terminal Servers) across many hosts simultaneously;
o HyperCache enables caching of the most used blocks of a golden image to memory, allowing virtual desktops to only retrieve requested data from disk when not found in cache;
o HyperDeploy allows virtual desktops to be provisioned instantaneously without waiting for the golden image copy to complete. It also limits network utilization while still allowing instantaneous provisioning;
o Further reduces the cost of desktop virtualization by allowing seamless use of local storage (DAS) and removing the need for expensive SAN storage;
o Enables provisioning of a fully functional virtual desktop in seconds due to the new vWorkspace Instant Provisioning technology;
o Quest Software recently conducted a cost and performance analysis for vWorkspace 7.5 using Login VSI, the standardized benchmark for VDI and SBC environments used by key vendors in the desktop virtualization space. Standardized cost scenarios against top competitor’s offerings allowed Quest to pinpoint the key areas of efficiency, and identify an overall cost savings of 33 percent VDI CapEx cost per user.
• New vWorkspace 7.5 Desktop Clouds simplify desktop virtualization to deliver unparalleled elasticity and maximum business agility to customers ranging from enterprise to SMB.
o Deliver the best possible performance for virtual desktops with advanced load balancing schemes, and allow the customer to add capacity in only a matter of seconds;
o Requires very little administrative effort for ongoing desktop maintenance, taking only minutes to update hundreds or thousands of desktops to a new version of the corporate golden image.
Other Key New Features include:
• Incorporates LAN and WAN support for Microsoft Lync / Office Communicator and other VOIP applications, expanding the reach of desktop virtualization projects;
• Offers two-factor authentication support for all vWorkspace Connectors adds an extra layer of security for users connecting from their choice of devices;
• Full RD Session Host Lifecycle Management from the vWorkspace Management Console provides all the benefits of VDI and applies them to RD Session Host, allowing one server image to be created and deployed in a fraction of the time of manual replication, and reducing costs associated with maintenance, support and storage.
• Simon Bramfitt, Founder and Principal Analyst at Entelechy Associates
“vWorkspace 7.5 has the makings of the ideal desktop virtualization platform, providing the opportunity not just to rock the boat of the desktop virtualization market place, but to leave some of its competitors baling hard to stay afloat, confirming Quest’s position in the top tier of desktop virtualization vendors. Quest has delivered a solution with the depth of features and functionality needed to support the largest enterprise, yet made it so easy to use that it can be deployed by almost anyone.”
• Scott Bowling, Senior Consultant, Pride Technologies
“With its latest release of vWorkspace, Quest is lowering the barriers to cost-effective desktop virtualization for our clients. They’ll appreciate the opportunity to take advantage of Microsoft Hyper-V to support non-persistent environments and still have automated brokering capabilities. Moreover, taking the cost of hypervisor management out of the equation can translate into a savings of up to $60 per desktop, which offers a tremendous value.”
• Jon Rolls, vice president, product management, User Workspace Management, Quest Software
“Quest vWorkspace 7.5 introduces a game-changing set of features and advances to enable companies of all sizes to adopt desktop virtualization by taking advantage of one of the lowest cost solutions available. In fact, our research tells us that vWorkspace 7.5 could save organizations as much as 33 percent of their VDI CapEx cost per user compared to competing products. Combine that strong value proposition with automated Desktop Cloud management, WAN support for Lync/Communicator and automation around Session Host/Terminal Server deployment and you have a compelling, industry-leading offering.”
Quest Software (quest.com) simplifies and reduces the cost of managing IT for more than 100,000 customers worldwide. Our innovative solutions make solving the toughest IT management problems easier, enabling customers to save time and money across physical, virtual and cloud environments. For more information about Quest solutions for administration and automation, data protection, development and optimization, identity and access management, migration and consolidation, and performance monitoring.